Eurocopter today delivered the first NH90 NFH (NATO Frigate Helicopter) to the Belgium Armed Forces, providing an advanced, highly capable and fully-qualified rotary-wing aircraft for this nation’s multi-role mission requirements.
In addition to being the no. 1 NH90 NFH received by Belgium, it also is the first built at Eurocopter’s Donauwörth, Germany industrial site – demonstrating this facility’s capability to assemble and deliver these new-generation twin-engine helicopters.
Belgium will become the fifth country to put the European-developed NH90 NFH version into service, joining France, Italy, the Netherlands and Norway. The aircraft delivered today is rated at Full Operational Capability (FOC), ensuring its aptitude for the full range of Belgium naval missions – such as Search and Rescue (SAR) or military missions at sea.
Training of Belgium Navy flight and maintenance crews on the NH90 NFH will begin next month, with operations to be initiated in 2014 using its first two helicopters. Belgium has ordered eight NH90s in total, including four of NFH naval versions. The NH90 NFH is replacing the Belgium Navy’s Sea King helicopters. Its configuration is identical to the Dutch NH90 NFH version.
“The NH90 NFH is operationally proven, and Belgium will benefit from this helicopter’s already validated performance, reliability and versatility,” said Michel Polychroniadis, Director of the NH90 Programme at Eurocopter. “The Belgium acceptance teams and flight crews have been impressed by the NH90 NFH’s flight stability and its capabilities, providing a preview of the operational enhancements that will be provided for the country’s army.”
Military services currently operating the NH90 NFH have successfully utilized the helicopters in rescue, transport and surveillance missions. As an example, more than 50 persons have been rescued to date by French Navy NH90 NFH rotorcraft, while the Netherlands recently deployed its NATO Frigate Helicopters to the Horn of Africa in support of the European Union’s Atalanta naval operation.
The NH90 is the most successful helicopter program in Europe, boasting 529 firm orders from 14 different countries. A total of 154 NH90s has been delivered. The NH90 NFH version alone has accumulated 111 bookings.
Management of the NH90 program is handled by the NHIndustries consortium, which is owned by Eurocopter (62.5%), AgustaWestland (32%), and Stork Fokker (5.5%).
Established in 1992, the Franco-German-Spanish Eurocopter Group is a division of EADS, a world leader in aerospace and defense-related services. The Eurocopter Group employs approximately 22,000 people. In 2012, Eurocopter confirmed its position as the world’s No. 1 helicopter manufacturer with a turnover of 6.3 billion Euros, orders for 469 new helicopters and a 44 percent market share in the civil and parapublic sectors. Overall, the Group’s helicopters account for 33 percent of the worldwide civil and parapublic fleet. Eurocopter’s strong international presence is ensured by its subsidiaries and participations in 21 countries. Eurocopter’s worldwide network of service centers, training facilities, distributors and certified agents supports more than 2,900 customers. There are currently more than 11,780 Eurocopter helicopters in service in 148 countries. Eurocopter offers the most comprehensive civil and military helicopter range in the world and is fully committed to safety as the most important aspect of its business.
- CAE to provide German Navy with NH90 training solution
- Spain receives NH90 simulator from Indra
- RNLAF NH90 to be upgraded with Hostile Fire Indicator System
- Netherlands Ministry of Defence opens new NH90 training facility
- Airbus delivers first NH90 Sea Lion to the German Armed Forces
- ST Engineering to support German NH90 fleet
- Airbus Helicopters and Elbe Flugzeugwerke take on maintenance activities
- German NH90s get upgrade with Rohde & Schwarz radios
- Sea Lion Successfully Completes Mission Demonstration
- Terma Aircraft Survivability Equipment on RNLAF NH90 Ready for Operational Use
- RUAG successfully completes the first NH90 inspection
- New contract between NHIndustries and the NATO Agency NAHEMA
- Patria received a follow-on NH90 maintenance order
- Italy Saves €450M from Defence Contract
- Kongsberg opens new transmission MRO facility for AW101 and NH90
- Norwegian NH90 Procurement Criticised
- NH90 User Conference 2018
- Norway to Use NH90 For Coastguard Missions
- Norwegian Navy tests NH90 helicopter landings on ships in open sea
- NH90 Qatar contract now effective