Bristow Academy Inc., a division of Bristow Group Inc., today announced that its first four R44 Raven 1 training helicopters with the Garmin 500H electronic flight display have been introduced into service.
Bristow Academy trainees flying this R44 aircraft will be using dual 6.5-inch LCDs, mounted side-by-side in the bezel, with both Primary Flight Display (PFD) and Multifunction Display (MFD) capabilities directly in the field of view to help streamline instrument scanning. Real-time True Airspeed calculations and selectable Winds Aloft data – as well as aircraft ground speed, GPS active waypoint, distance-to-waypoint and desired/actual track are just a few of the features available in the cockpit. On the left-hand side, the PFD consolidates all primary situational information regarding the aircraft’s position, speed, attitude, vertical rate, altitude and flight progress. For added visual orientation, a scaled version of Garmin’s SVT™ Synthetic Vision Technology will also be fitted creating a 3-D “virtual reality” perspective view of flight and en route terrain features. In place of sensitive gyro instruments, the G500 uses Garmin’s super-reliable GRS 77 Attitude and Heading Reference System (AHRS). Combining inputs from GPS, magnetometer and air data computer, the Garmin AHRS provides an accurate digital referencing of the aircraft’s dynamic orientation in space.
Matt Rhodes, Offshore Operations Manager for Bristow Helicopters based in Aberdeen, UK, says, “With North Sea clients now favoring the latest technically advanced helicopters available for the transportation of their personnel to the offshore platforms, the Bristow European Business Unit has invested heavily in the introduction of types such as the EC225, S-92 and more recently the AW189. All of these aircraft are fitted with the latest and safest glass cockpit technology. Training on the R44 with the G500H cockpit will afford students the opportunity to become familiar with glass-cockpit operations and make the transition from training helicopter to the main operational fleet a smoother process if they decide to pursue a flying career.”
Nick Mayhew, General Manager of Bristow Academy’s Titusville Campus adds, “You will find this glass cockpit technology in most new operational helicopters. The G500H replaces maintenance-intensive mechanical gyros with dual 6.5² LCD screens; it allows for more effective mission planning, greatly reduces pilot workload and is an important component of our training capability.”
ABOUT BRISTOW ACADEMY INC.
Bristow Academy, located in Titusville, Florida; New Iberia, Louisiana, and Gloucester (UK), is the only helicopter flight school approved to provide helicopter flight training to commercial pilot level by the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration and the European Joint Aviation Authority. The Academy trains students from helicopter industry or related companies and pilots from a wide variety of foreign and domestic government agencies. For more information, go to http://www.bristowgroup.com.
ABOUT BRISTOW GROUP INC.
Bristow Group Inc. (NYSE: BRS) is the leading provider of helicopter services to the worldwide offshore energy industry based on the number of aircraft operated and one of two helicopter service providers to the offshore energy industry with global operations. The Company has major transportation operations in the North Sea, Nigeria and the U.S. Gulf of Mexico, and in most of the other major offshore oil and gas producing regions of the world, including Alaska, Australia, Brazil, Mexico, Russia and Trinidad. For more information, visit the Company’s website at http://www.bristowgroup.com/.
- 02-Dec-20 VH-HGU Robinson R44 Marulan South, Australia (2F)
- Mornington Sanford Aviation adds EASA Part 147 approval for Robinson maintenance training
- 18-Nov-20 N442JP Robinson R44 Austell, US-Georgia
- R44 Cadet Enters Service with ICE Helicopters
- Air Florida Helicopter Charters voluntarily files for Chapter 11 protection
- Voler Aviation Services add third helicopter type to training fleet
- 20-Oct-20 RA-04327 Robinson R44 Bobrovskoye, Russia (4F)
- 19-Oct-20 N31136 Robinson R44 Washington Island, US-Wisconsin
- 16-Oct-20 N500DL Robinson R44 Pahrump, US-Nevada
- 03-Oct-20 C-FSSU Robinson R44 II Nottawasaga, Canada
- 12-Sep-20 N537BC Robinson R44 Willow, US-Alaska
- 29-Aug-20 B-7537 Robinson R44 Longnan, China (1F)
- 28-Aug-20 C-____ Robinson R44 New Liskeard, Canada
- Robinson R44 – FAA AD 2020-18-08 – Engine Air Intake System
- 26-Aug-20 RA-04393 Robinson R44 Krasnaya Polyana, Russia
- 13-Aug-20 SP-SVW Robinson R44 Sady, Poland
- 13-Aug-20 OK-??? Robinson R44 Zamberk, Czech Republic
- 08-Aug-20 N89LA Robinson R44 Logan, US-Iowa
- 06-Aug-20 N61MX Robinson R44 Ashton, US-Idaho
- Rotor Accessories produces tear-resistant R44 sun shades