UTC Aerospace Systems is working with Sikorsky Aircraft to drive advancements in rotorcraft technology as part of Sikorsky’s self-funded Matrix Technology autonomy research and development program. With Matrix Technology, Sikorsky aims to significantly improve the capability, safety and reliability of vertical take-off and landing aircraft. UTC Aerospace Systems and Sikorsky are units of United Technologies Corp. (NYSE: UTX).
Sikorsky announced this week the first flight of an S-76 helicopter — called the Sikorsky Autonomous Research Aircraft (SARA) — to test in autonomous mode the systems and software that comprise Matrix Technology. SARA uses a triplex redundant fly-by-wire Flight Control System (FCS) with computers supplied by UTC Aerospace Systems to implement the flight-critical portions of the autonomous operation.
“We’re proud to provide this critical flight control technology to our customer and colleagues at Sikorsky Aircraft,” said Steve Peery, vice president for UTC Aerospace Systems’ Engine & Control Systems business unit. “Having previously used a derivative system on a fly-by-wire BLACK HAWK helicopter, UTC Aerospace Systems has shown the FCS could be expanded for the autonomous mission management role. We are looking forward to further advancing the FCS to continue increasing safety and versatility for future helicopters.”
UTC Aerospace Systems designs, manufactures and services integrated systems and components for the aerospace and defense industries. UTC Aerospace Systems supports a global customer base with significant worldwide manufacturing and customer service facilities.
United Technologies Corp., based in Hartford, Conn., is a diversified company providing high- technology products and services to the building and aerospace industries.
- Caverton Helicopters moves into S76D operations
- NTSB announces public board meeting on Kobe Bryant S76 accident
- Island Express Helicopters sues ATC over Kobe Bryant accident
- 25-Aug-20 N276TH Sikorsky S76C West Palm Beach, US-Florida
- Korea – Corporate operator Posco to make corporate S76s available for EMS work
- Sikorsky S76C – FAA AD 2020-0212 – RDAU software
- Omni starts another PGS contract with both S76 and AW139
- 26-Jan-20 N72EX Sikorsky S76B Calabasas, US-California (9F)
- DAC International launch ADS-B Out solution for Sikorsky S76
- Wheels Up partners with HeliFlite
- Heli-One and Caverton Sign Support Agreement
- 18-Mar-19 C9-HEI Sikorsky S76A Beira, Mozambique
- Heli-One Completes Universal Avionics Flight Deck Upgrade For S-76
- Costa do Sol Taxi Aero selects SKYTRAC Real-Time Flight Data Monitoring
- Universal Avionics ground testing completed on Heli-One S76B
- CHC introduces AW189 in Australia
- UK Aviation Services becomes a Sikorsky S76 Customer Support Center
- JSSI expands S76 coverage
- Crestwood selected as Sikorsky Supplier of the Year
- Canada certifies DAC for Esterline CMA-6800 Display in S76