The nation’s newest public heliport is scheduled to open in December 2013. Located 12 miles Southwest of downtown Dallas in DeSoto TX, the 19-acre public heliport is nearly completed.
Combined development teams from the City of DeSoto, the DeSoto Economic Development Corporation, TxDOT Aviation Division, and SKY Helicopters, Inc. have been working together on the heliport project. Construction started in March 2013 and is scheduled for completion at the end of the year. Strategically located on the Dallas/DeSoto border at 150 E. Danieldale Road, the heliport offers excellent road access from all parts of the North Texas area using Interstate 20, 35E, and 45.
The heliport boasts hangars for up to 50 helicopters with more than an acre of concrete ramp space. Both Jet-A and 100LL Avgas are available 24 hours through self-serve fuel islands. Building and hangar features include sub-dividable tenant space and offices for SKY’s training and commercial operations.
The new heliport includes important security elements to comply with Federal Transportation Security Administration (TSA) guidelines for general aviation.
When completed in December, the $5 million heliport will be one of only a dozen stand-alone public-use heliports in the United States. The heliport offers 25,000 square-feet of heated hangar space for helicopter maintenance and rental to others, and 12,000 square-feet of terminal & office space for businesses that provide primary & advanced flight instruction, Emergency Medical Services, Law Enforcement Operations, individual and business charter, energy sector support, news, sports, and special events to customers in North Texas.
About SKY Helicopters, Inc.
Since 1992 SKY Helicopters has been the Fixed-base operator of the Garland / DFW Heliport, approximately 30 miles North of the new DeSoto location. SKY Helicopters is a commercial helicopter operator, helicopter dealer / service center, and TV news service provider based in Garland, Texas.
In 2013, SKY Helicopters was again selected as one of the top 100 fastest growing private companies in the DFW area by INC. Magazine. SKY achieved this commendation four times in its 21 years of operations.
- Simaero acquires AS332M1 Full Flight Simulator
- Summit Aviation Receives Garmin Bronze Dealer Award
- DRF Christoph Weser to upgrade Bremen air ambulance to EC145
- British military Joint Helicopter Command sustain airpower operation in Mali
- Air Methods Announces Partnership with MountainStar Healthcare
- HAI Extends Nomination Period for Salute to Excellence Awards
- Malta-Gozo helicopter contract falls through
- Bristow announces FY2021 Q2 release call date
- FreeFlight Systems Hires New Director of Sales
- Uavos Continues To Implement Its Unmanned Aircraft Conversion Program
- EHang to benefit as China approves Unmanned Civil Aviation Experimental Zones
- Volocopter and Lufthansa Industry Solutions cooperate to build VoloIQ
- Babcock Australasia improves access to emergency medical services
- Dimerco wins contract to ship 30 Bell 407s from Canada to China
- Lockheed awarded $9M contract for engineering support of AH-1Z
- Lockheed awarded $193M contract for production and delivery of 4 MH-60R to Greece
- Quebec acquires pre-owned Airbus H145 for law enforcement
- Arrow Aviation Completes First Single Pilot IFR Bell 407 for HEMS Service
- The Ecuadorian Air Force takes delivery of their first two H145s
- Emesent is pioneering autonomous drone flight