The US Government shut-down, which became effective on Tuesday 1st October is affecting practically all departments and about 800,000 federal workers have been laid off temporarily without pay.
From a helicopter industry point of view, we have seen that Sikorsky will put 2,000 employees on leave if the shut-down continues on Monday 7th. The FAA registration office is also closed, which means registrations are not being issued or cancelled, and changes of ownership are not being processed. This has a knock-on effect in blocking export and import of aircraft, and Special Flight Authorizations (ferry permits) are not being issued either.
Over in the Airworthiness part of the FAA, full Airworthiness Directives are still being issued, but anything of a lower level of importance are in a holding pattern.
US accident data, normally issued daily by the FAA, has not been issued since Monday 30th September.
William P Johnson – HeliHub.com Washington Correspondent
- Slovenian Police receive first of two AW169s
- LCI launches 1st helicopter co-investment vehicle
- Life Flight Network and Saint Alphonsus Celebrate 10 Years
- Rostec will offer renewal of South Korean Ka-32 fleet
- Leonardo appoints UI International as Korea distributor
- Safran selects Onsight AR platform for remote customer support
- Japanese Prefectures Place Orders for Bell 412EPI
- Air Methods Relocates Black Hills Life Flight Base to Rapid City
- New York Helicopter Charter files for bankruptcy protection
- Denel helicopters not affected by aerostructures business exit
- Honeywell upgrades power and fuel efficiency on T55 engine for Chinook
- Canada approves AS350/EC130 Crash-Resistant Fuel Tank
- Sikorsky Introduces RAIDER X™
- US Army trialing new helicopter pilot training program
- NFAC tests next-generation military helicopter
- Aero Asset’s Q3 Preowned Helicopter Market Trends show improving conditions
- Sikorsky Showcases New Combat Rescue Helicopter
- UK Helicopter Museum celebrates 30 years
- Helity appointed AW139 Maintenance Centre by Leonardo
- Bell Appoints China State Grid GA as a Bell429 Authorized Maintenance Center