Optech, the world leader in the development, manufacture and support of advanced lidar and camera survey instruments, is pleased to announce the latest addition to its innovative line of airborne laser terrain mappers (ALTM), the Optech Orion C300-1, which is designed as a Class 1 eye-safe laser product.
A Special Airworthiness Information Bulletin, released in 2006 (SW-06-68), identified potential hazards stemming from the installation and operation of FLIR systems on helicopters and rotorcraft. The FAA has since expressed concerns regarding the installation and eye-safe use of Class 3A, 3B, and 4 lidar sensors in rotorcraft. While policy changes are still pending, Optech has released the latest variant of its ultra-compact Orion ALTM, the C300-1, for corridor survey and mapping applications.
The new sensor boasts a Class 1 laser product rating in conformance with FDA requirements and incorporates a 1.5-micron laser with an intelligent emission monitoring system. The Orion C300-1 completely addresses the concerns of the FAA for fixed-wing, UAV and rotorcraft lidar installations with respect to eye safety and maximum permissible exposure limits.
The new Orion C300-1 continues to provide the same level of performance and exceptional small-target detectability as the earlier C300 model, with industry-leading range precision that delivers best-of-class performance for the corridor mapping industry and other tight-tolerance applications. Coupled with Optech’s latest flight management system, the Orion C300-1 has the unique ability to compute, display and record XYZI point clouds in the air, as well as to visualize powerlines as they are being surveyed for in-air collection confidence. Its real-time LAS file generator enables high-resolution point clouds to be delivered immediately for rapid response applications. For those demanding the highest accuracy and precision possible, the Optech LMS Lidar Mapping Suite provides rigorous least-squares methods with fully-automated calibration and processing efficiency tuned specifically for high-density corridor applications.
The Orion C300-1, when combined with Optech’s oblique, ortho, and thermal imaging sensors, scalable sensor mounts and single multi-sensor controller, creates a powerful off-the-shelf corridor mapping solution. The Class 1 rating of the new Orion C300-1 now eliminates any eye-safety concerns related to the installation and operation of Optech corridor lidar survey solutions on rotorcraft platforms.
The Orion C300-1 is available immediately for delivery.
Optech is the world leader in the development, manufacture and support of advanced lidar and camera survey instruments. With operations and staff worldwide, Optech offers both standalone and fully integrated lidar and camera solutions in airborne mapping, airborne lidar bathymetry, mobile mapping, terrestrial laser scanning, mine cavity monitoring, and industrial process control, as well as space-proven sensors.
- LO Helicopter Committee Enthusiastic about Bell 525
- EHang Achieves World’s First Certificate of Unmanned Aircraft System Safety for AAVs
- Schiebel completes successful flight trials
- Candian 2019 Paramedic of the Year title won by STARS crew member
- 21 stakeholders sign Single European Sky agreement
- Scotland’s Charity Air Ambulance to add second base at Aberdeen
- Elbit Systems completes acquisition of Harris Night Vision Business
- MDHI Awarded CLS and training contract
- Sheffield Children’s Hospital Helipad receives £562,500 boos
- FlightSafety now offers safety and security training for corporate crews and passengers
- Hampshire and IOW Air Ambulance missions up 62% year-on-year
- Airbus Foundation supports Bolivian efforts to fight fires in Amazon
- Students STEP into the Future with Bell
- Luton Airport to provide free fuel to Children’s Air Ambulance
- Omni signs 24 month contract with Constellation Oil
- Metro Aviation takes delivery of first Airbus EC145e
- Mecaer Delivers Bell 505 MAGnificent
- More than $360,000 raised for STARS
- AeroVironment unveils VAPOR all-electric helicopter UAS
- StandardAero expands with Safe Aviation Solutions acquisition