AgustaWestland and Thales are under contract to supply COMPACT FLASH SONICS dipping sonars for the Republic of Korea Navy’s new AW159 Maritime Operations Helicopters.
The COMPACT FLASH sonar is the newest member of Thales’s FLASH range of dipping sonars. This low-frequency, long-range sonar system is lighter and designed for smaller helicopters. It features an optimised, lightweight architecture as well as a fully electric reeling machine. The COMPACT FLASH delivers outstanding performance. The SONICS version also includes a complete sonobuoy processing system, with a VHF receiver, picking up sonobuoy data and processing it in real time on board the helicopter.
By simultaneously processing data from the dipping sonar and from active and passive sonobuoys, the COMPACT FLASH provides the new intermediate-class helicopters with an unparalleled anti-submarine warfare capability.
“We are delighted that AgustaWestland has placed its trust in Thales to equip its new helicopter, and proud to have the Republic of Korea Navy as the latest customer to adopt our FLASH family of dipping sonars,” said Benoit Plantier, Managing Director of Thales Underwater Systems.
Thales has an extensive installed base of FLASH SONICS systems in service with the naval forces of France (NH90 NFH), the United Kingdom (Merlin EH101), Norway (NH90), the United States (MH60-R), Sweden (NH90), Australia (MH60R) and the United Arab Emirates (Super Puma). This latest contract further consolidates the Group’s world leadership position in airborne anti-submarine warfare systems.
- Leonardo AW159 Wildcat conducts first successful firings of Thales ‘Martlet’ LMM
- COVID-19 – 3 British Army AW159 Wildcats have been deployed to support UK with COVID-19
- Leonardo celebrates the tenth anniversary of AW159 Wildcat’s first flight
- AW159 Wildcat helps HMS Dragon to record eighth drugs haul – value £145m in six months
- Republic of Korea Navy launches tender for 12 helicopters
- Leonardo demonstrates its AW159 to Malaysian Armed Forces
- South Korea to Purchase 12 ASW Helicopters
- Leonardo awarded £271 million AW159 WIST contract by UK
- Possible Closure for GKN Yeovil
- General Dynamics integrates Link 16 datalink system on AW159
- British military thanks landing site owners
- Black Cats team ready for 30 air shows
- UK – 815 Naval Air Squadron receives first four of 12 Wildcats
- Philippine Navy orders two AgustaWestland AW159s
- Army Air Corps praise new Wildcat facilities at RNAS Yeovilton
- Korean AW159 deliveries delayed by acceptance test issue
- Recently retired military chief summonsed over AW159 corruption allegations
- Wildcat becomes first helicopter to land at St Helena Airport
- Batch of AgustaWestland related domain names for sale
- Babcock win large Royal Navy helicopter maintenance contract