The University of Pennsylvania Health System (UPHS) has updated its PennSTAR air medical services fleet with the addition of a new American Eurocopter EC145.
Purchased in 2012, the EC145 was completed by Metro Aviation and placed into service over the summer, replacing a PennSTAR BK117. The all Eurocopter PennSTAR fleet consists seven aircraft: five EC135s, one BK117 and the new EC145.
The EC145 was selected by PennSTAR for a number of reasons including payload and range capacity, along with the large cabin and useful load ability allowing PennSTAR to transport medical teams and special equipment.
“We have evaluated and used other aircraft in our program but keep coming back to American Eurocopter for the best solutions,” said PennSTAR Flight Team Program Director, Robert Higgins. “This new EC145 complements our current all Eurocopter fleet and serves the growing needs of Penn’s patient transport program with safe, efficient operations. Product support is always excellent, so there was no need to look any farther.”
The PennSTAR flight program operates from six bases around Philadelphia, providing critical care air medical transportation within a 100-mile radius of the University of Pennsylvania Health System. Since the program began in 1988, PennSTAR has maintained a perfect safety record with no injury accidents or significant aircraft incidents, rendering care to more than 30,000 patients.
The combination of speed and performance, high-set main and tail rotors, and rear-loading clamshell doors make the EC145 a top choice for many EMS programs in the U.S. including PennSTAR. Powered by two Turbomeca ARRIEL engines, the aircraft provides expanded range and payload capacity.
For more information on the EC145 and other industry leading helicopters, go to www.eurocopterusa.com.
About American Eurocopter
American Eurocopter is the U.S. affiliate of Eurocopter, the largest helicopter manufacturer in the world, and a subsidiary of EADS North America Holdings, the North American operations of EADS, a world leader in aerospace, defense and related services. American Eurocopter is a helicopter manufacturer and markets, sells and supports the broadest range of civil and parapublic helicopters offered by any manufacturer. The product line represents the most cost-effective, technologically-advanced helicopters, ranging from light single to heavy twin aircraft, serving all markets and missions. American Eurocopter’s headquarters and main facility are in Grand Prairie, Texas with a large manufacturing and production facility in Columbus, Miss.
- DRF Christoph Weser to upgrade Bremen air ambulance to EC145
- Mountain Area Medical Airlift adds EC145e to fleet
- Air Methods chooses Airbus HCare to support its fleet of 31 EC145 helicopters
- 06-Aug-20 PK-JBX Airbus H145 Batulicin, Indonesia
- DRF “Christoph 42” in Schleswig-Holstein upgrades from EC145 to H145
- First Ukraine Police Airbus H145 commences flight test phase
- Gama Aviation starts Scottish EMS operations after taking contract back from Babcock
- 01-Jun-20 LN-OOU Airbus H145 Skibotn, Norway
- Airbus will only sell you a five-blade H145 now
- Gama Aviation releases Flight Data Monitoring mod for Airbus H135 and H145
- Babcock adds another EMS H145 in Italy
- Gama Aviation provides update on Scottish Ambulance Service contract
- County of Grande Prairie commits to help renew STARS helicopter fleet
- DRF Luftrettung expands its H145 and H135 fleet
- FlightSafety to add new Level D sims for Airbus EC145 and Leonardo AW139
- Air Methods to supply two EC145s to Houston Healthcare
- UK Military Flying Training System to add four Airbus H145s
- Metro seeks STC for Stryker configurations in EC145
- Christoph 51 has been used more than 25,000 times in 30 years
- Trump proposes import duties on Airbus helicopters built in EU