GKN Aerospace has won a multi-million dollar, life-of-programme contract from Bell Helicopter to develop and supply crashworthy, state-of-the-art fuel tanks for the new Bell 525 Relentless Super Medium helicopter. GKN Aerospace is exhibiting on booth C9030 at NBAA, 22 – 24 October, 2013.
These bespoke tanks will be manufactured using the company’s newly developed, lightweight fuel cell material. Using this material, the company is able to produce fuel tanks that weigh less than comparable in-service tanks, and also meet the rigorous performance requirements for Technical Standing Order (TSO C80) and Federal Aviation Regulations (FAR27/29).
Phil Swash, CEO, GKN Aerospace – Europe & Special Products states: “The Bell 525 Relentless programme is very important to GKN Aerospace as the launch programme for our innovative new fuel cell material. We believe this material establishes a technical advantage in fuel systems technology that will become the industry benchmark.”
The Bell 525 Relentless units will be manufactured at the company’s Alabama fuel systems facility. First deliveries of developmental units will be made to Bell Helicopter in Fort Worth, TX, USA later this year.
Today, GKN Aerospace is a market-leading fuel systems supplier providing full turnkey packages from fuel storage to engine feed, as well as flexible fuel bladders, crashworthy and self-sealing systems, rotationally moulded tanks and range extender tanks, incorporating ballistic protection and anti-slosh technology. For the military market, the company’s self-seal fuel system technology provides up to 50 caliber round protection to all types of fuel containment devices.
GKN Aerospace has already been selected to supply key metallic and composite structures for the Bell 525 Relentless helicopter fuselage (see press release dated 07/09/12). Two GKN Aerospace North American facilities, in St. Louis, Missouri and Tallassee, Alabama are involved in this work package which includes the supply of composite and aluminium fuselage panels and structural parts for the cockpit, cabin and tailboom of the airframe. Bell Helicopter is a key customer with GKN Aerospace supplying critical structures and systems for a number of Bell programmes as well as for the Bell-Boeing V-22 Osprey.
- Bell bundles SiriusXM Aviation Weather & Audio with new helicopters
- Bell 525 Relentless Completes Noise Testing Milestone
- Bell and Wintershall Dea Set Sights for Innovative North Sea Operations
- Bell Announces New Technological Enhancements
- LO Helicopter Committee Enthusiastic about Bell 525
- Bell 525 engine receives certification from FAA
- FAA certifies GE CT7-2F1 engine for Bell 525
- Donaldson Delivers Filtration Systems for Bell 525 Relentless
- Bell expands Flight Research Center
- Bell 525 completes hot weather testing
- 4th B525 flight test vehicle takes flight
- Bell to Widen Malaysian Market
- PPG awarded heated windshield contract for B525 Relentless
- Bell 525 certification heads for spring 2019
- Bell outlines Heli-Expo display
- Certification Deferral for Bell 525 Relentless
- Bell CEO Talks of Market Decline
- V-22 Workload for Bell, after layoffs
- Helitech 2016: ITT Shake Guru addresses Bell 525 and 505 flight
- Bell 525 VIP interior proposed by Mecaer