The Swedish Armed Forces has taken delivery of its very first “International Mission” version of the NH90. The helicopter, locally designated HKP 14D and globally named NHIndustries NH90 TTT/IM, landed at Malmen Air Base in Linköping on 12 December 2013 following an overnight stop at the helicopter squadron in Luleå. It was officially handed over to the Helicopter Wing from the Swedish Defence Material Administration (FMV) on 17 December.
The IM version is an all-weather mission capable helicopter with a completely new tactical system, and it features a deicing system, weather radar, digital maps, ballistic protection, warning/countermeasure system, laser rangefinder as well as electro-optical/infrared sensors.
The helicopter has a rear cargo ramp that facilitates cabin loading and disembarkation in complement to the two large sliding doors on each side of the airframe. It has a cargo hook for underslung loads and two rescue hoists – one on each side of the helicopter. It can take up to nine stretchers, 20 passengers or ten fully equipped soldiers depending on the cabin configuration.
The Swedish Armed Forces Helicopter Wing has operated four basic HKP 14 training helicopters since 2011. These helicopters will eventually be retrofitted to the latest standard. A total of 18 NH90s have been ordered, and the deliveries are ongoing, with four new D models expected in 2014. The fleet of HKP 14 is currently operating from the Malmen base, but they will be reassigned to the helicopter squadrons in Luleå and Ronneby from March/April 2014.
Photo courtesy of Swedish Armed Forces
- Nova Systems wins Norwegian NH90 contract
- Rheinmetall modernizing German NH90 flight simulators
- CAE to provide German Navy with NH90 training solution
- Spain receives NH90 simulator from Indra
- RNLAF NH90 to be upgraded with Hostile Fire Indicator System
- Netherlands Ministry of Defence opens new NH90 training facility
- Airbus delivers first NH90 Sea Lion to the German Armed Forces
- ST Engineering to support German NH90 fleet
- Airbus Helicopters and Elbe Flugzeugwerke take on maintenance activities
- German NH90s get upgrade with Rohde & Schwarz radios
- Sea Lion Successfully Completes Mission Demonstration
- Terma Aircraft Survivability Equipment on RNLAF NH90 Ready for Operational Use
- RUAG successfully completes the first NH90 inspection
- New contract between NHIndustries and the NATO Agency NAHEMA
- Patria received a follow-on NH90 maintenance order
- Italy Saves €450M from Defence Contract
- Kongsberg opens new transmission MRO facility for AW101 and NH90
- Norwegian NH90 Procurement Criticised
- NH90 User Conference 2018
- Norway to Use NH90 For Coastguard Missions