Pilots will call for an independent judicial inquiry into North Sea helicopter safety in evidence to the House of Commons Transport Select Committee this afternoon.
Captain Colin Milne, the Chairman of BALPA’s Helicopter Affairs Committee, will give evidence to the Committee’s inquiry into helicopter safety at 1500 today, Monday, 27 January 2014 at the Committee’s oral evidence session in Aberdeen.
BALPA believes that an independent judicial inquiry into offshore helicopter safety is needed in order to properly examine the role and power of the oil companies who charter services from the helicopter companies and to examine the effectiveness of the regulation of the industry.
Jim McAuslan, BALPA General Secretary, said, ‘In the last seven years there have been six accidents in the North Sea; that’s six too many. A thorough independent judicial inquiry is needed to understand what’s going wrong in the UK, especially compared with the situation in Norway where there appears to be a better safety record.
‘The hundreds of pilots flying the North Sea offshore day-in, day-out want everything put under the microscope and examined objectively including whether “light-touch” regulation is right for this safety-critical industry which is so vital to the UK’s prosperity.’
- EASA SIB 2020-13 Provision of ground handling services at aerodromes following COVID-19 outbreak
- Lydd SAR base passes 1,000 taskings milestone
- Boeing Receives $265 Million Chinook Helicopter Order
- Churchill Navigation and Shotover Camera Systems Merge
- USAIG expands safety collaboration with Airbus
- Airbus Fleet Master presents uninterrupted data chain
- EHang Launches Intelligent Aerial Firefighting Solution
- VHA Receives TIA on 206B Version 2 Main Rotor Blades
- Lifeflight’s AW139 fleet marks milestone
- Bristow to close two Lousiana bases with 350 job losses, claims union
- Eight Air Evac Lifefteam bases in Arkansas now carry blood
- Malaysian Ministry of Health outsources EMS helicopter service
- Metro Aviation delivers first of two helicopters to HealthNet
- Apollo Air Services to promote Aviation Clean Air purifier units in Europe
- 06-Aug-20 N911EP Hughes OH-6 Chesterfield, US-Missouri
- Kaman Recognized by Sikorsky as Elite Supplier
- Maelstrom AFB opens Helicopter Operations Alert Facility
- EHang to Expand Production Facility
- Rotor Accessories produces tear-resistant R44 sun shades
- HeliSpeed signs SAR support agreement with British International