Pilots will call for an independent judicial inquiry into North Sea helicopter safety in evidence to the House of Commons Transport Select Committee this afternoon.
Captain Colin Milne, the Chairman of BALPA’s Helicopter Affairs Committee, will give evidence to the Committee’s inquiry into helicopter safety at 1500 today, Monday, 27 January 2014 at the Committee’s oral evidence session in Aberdeen.
BALPA believes that an independent judicial inquiry into offshore helicopter safety is needed in order to properly examine the role and power of the oil companies who charter services from the helicopter companies and to examine the effectiveness of the regulation of the industry.
Jim McAuslan, BALPA General Secretary, said, ‘In the last seven years there have been six accidents in the North Sea; that’s six too many. A thorough independent judicial inquiry is needed to understand what’s going wrong in the UK, especially compared with the situation in Norway where there appears to be a better safety record.
‘The hundreds of pilots flying the North Sea offshore day-in, day-out want everything put under the microscope and examined objectively including whether “light-touch” regulation is right for this safety-critical industry which is so vital to the UK’s prosperity.’
- Nepal – Summit Helicopters rebrands back to original Fishtail Air name
- Airbus appoints Head of External Communications
- Garmin® unveils the fourth generation GPS/NAV/COMM
- Boeing delivered more new Apaches than 737s in 2019 Q4
- Farewell Message from Matt Zuccaro as he hands over HAI
- Manufacturing of Tiltrotor AW609 wind tunnel model via SLS and Windform
- Sikorsky, Rheinmetall Unveil Plans for German Heavy-Lift CH-53K
- Vertical Flight Society Announces Continued Strong Growth
- Era Group Names Senior Vice President of Business Development
- Schiebel Camcopter S-100 deployed for river pollution crisis in Malaysia
- 25,000 missions for Essex & Herts Air Ambulance
- Bristow used Chapter 11 process to drop Airbus H175 order
- US Navy awards $2.68 Billion contract for APKWS rockets
- THOMMEN delivers first multi function displays for the AW129
- Milestone Aviation Group names CEO
- Air Methods Promotes new CEO
- HH-60W enters chamber for defense systems testing
- Botswana police order three Enstrom 480B
- “Who Rates Best to Avoid Fatal Helicopter Accidents? Who Rates Worst?”
- S.A.F.E. will present a Maintenance Safety session at Heli Expo 2020