Weststar Aviation Services Sdn. Bhd., a member of the Weststar Group of Companies, today announced the successful launch of its first regional expansion in Asia after its new Songkhla base in Thailand commenced operations on a seven-year PTT Exploration and Production (PTTEP) contract last Friday.
Weststar Aviation Services expansion into Thailand comes after a joint venture with its new Thai partner, United Offshore Aviation (UOA), the offshore aviation arm of the Nathalin Group of Companies, which is one of the largest transportation and energy group of companies in Thailand and has multiple business interests in Marine Transport, Green Energy and Ship Management, amongst others.
PTTEP is a leading Thai Petroleum Exploration and Production Company that is amongst the top ten public listed companies on the Stock Exchange of Thailand and operates more than 40 projects around the world.
“We are very pleased to announce our new presence in Thailand. The joint-venture with UOA represents another big step forward for Weststar Aviation Services and reflects our growing presence in the global offshore aviation industry,” said Tan Sri Syed Azman Syed Ibrahim, Group Managing Director of the Weststar Group.
The seven-year PTTEP contract, with an option for a two-year extension, is worth RM2billion and will utilise six AgustaWestland AW139 helicopters and a total of 140 staff at the Songkhla base.
The Songkhla base is Weststar Aviation Services’ seventh operations base and marks the Malaysian corporation’s second venture overseas, with its first international base having commenced operations for Tullow Oil in Nouakchott, Mauritania in May last year. Weststar Aviation Services currently services contracts totalling more than RM8billion with one of the largest and most modern offshore helicopter fleets in the world.
It is a highly positive start to a year in which the top Southeast Asian offshore aviation service provider expects to announce further overseas ventures in the coming months.
- The Helicopter Company of Saudi Arabia takes delivery of its first AW139
- Penzance Helicopters launches Travel Club discount for Isles of Scilly residents
- NHV gains a UK Air Operator Certificate
- Civil helicopter market presence grows in South Africa
- Helity appointed AW139 Maintenance Centre by Leonardo
- Leonardo delivers its 1,000th AW139 helicopter
- Russian operator Skypro adds fourth AW139
- Omni reaches over 100,000 hours flown in AW139 aircraft
- Era sets major AW139 operational milestone
- SPECTO Aerospace appointed helicopter Blade Repair Centre
- Wiking signs for two AW139s
- Leonardo working with Suzuyo on first AW139 Level D Full Flight Simulator in Japan
- Italian National Fire Corps orders five more AW139s
- Leonardo and the Italian National Fire Corps announce a major step
- P&WC adds Designated Maintenance Facility in China for AW139 operators
- Weststar AW139 and AW169 orders
- Coptersafety appoints a new full-time flight instructor
- Caverton Helicopters picks Thales for AW139 simulator
- DART High Capacity Cargo Nets fit the bill for Aeróleo Táxi Aéreo
- Toll Helicopters and Seeing Machines have joined forces