AgustaWestland, a Finmeccanica company, is pleased to announce an order by the Republic of Korea’s Public Procurement Service and Chungnam Fire Fighting Department, for one AW139 intermediate twin engine helicopter. This helicopter will perform fire fighting, search and rescue, Emergency Medical Services (EMS) and utility mission in support of the Chungnam community . The helicopter is scheduled to be delivered in the second half of 2015.
Andrew Symonds, Head of Region AgustaWestland for Northeast Asia, said “This order marks the fourth operator in the Republic of Korea to select the AW139 as its primary helicopter for fire fighting missions, reaffirming once again the reputation of this outstanding aircraft for public utility missions. Its multi-role abilities makes the AW139 the most suitable helicopter to assist and safeguard communities when need arises”.
Chungnam Province’s AW139 will be fitted with a wide range of role equipment including a four axis auto pilot, Bambi bucket, search light, dedicated EMS suite, fast roping fittings, rescue hoist. The four screen glass cockpit will also be equipped for Night Vision Goggle (NVG) operations.
The AW139 has proven extremely successful in Northeast Asia performing a number of roles including search and rescue, maritime patrol, law enforcement, fire fighting, disaster relief, VIP/corporate transport and electronic news gathering. In the Republic of Korea the AW139 is operated by the Korea Coast Guard, Gangwon Fire Fighting Department, Gyeonggi Fire Fighting Department, Incheon Fire Fighting Department and is also used by Samsung for passenger transport missions.
The only new generation helicopter in its weight class, the AW139 sets new standards of performance in its category with a maximum cruise speed of 165 knots (306 km/h) and a maximum range in excess of 570 nm (1060 km) with auxiliary fuel. The aircraft has outstanding one engine inoperative capabilities, even in the hot and high environmental conditions. The AW139 also features the largest cabin in its category.
The AW139, together with the next generation AW169 and AW189 models, is part of the AgustaWestland Family of new generation helicopters which possess the same high performance flight characteristics and safety features, as well as sharing a common cockpit layout, design philosophy and maintenance concept. This commonality will allow more effective operations for customers operating helicopter fleets across the 4 to 8.5 tonne categories
With orders for over 750 units in approximately 60 countries from more than 200 customers and over 620 units already in service, the AW139 is the best-selling intermediate twin engine helicopter in the world. With 119 AgustaWestland helicopters in service and 23 on order, AgustaWestland’s success in the Northeast Asia region continues to grow with strong sales in recent years across its commercial and government product ranges.
AgustaWestland opened a business office in Seoul in 2013 in support of its growing business in the Republic of Korea. The commercial helicopter fleet in the Republic of Korea is supported by an official service center which provides maintenance and repair services.
- Helity appointed AW139 Maintenance Centre by Leonardo
- Leonardo delivers its 1,000th AW139 helicopter
- Russian operator Skypro adds fourth AW139
- Omni reaches over 100,000 hours flown in AW139 aircraft
- Era sets major AW139 operational milestone
- SPECTO Aerospace appointed helicopter Blade Repair Centre
- Wiking signs for two AW139s
- Leonardo working with Suzuyo on first AW139 Level D Full Flight Simulator in Japan
- Italian National Fire Corps orders five more AW139s
- Leonardo and the Italian National Fire Corps announce a major step
- P&WC adds Designated Maintenance Facility in China for AW139 operators
- Weststar AW139 and AW169 orders
- Coptersafety appoints a new full-time flight instructor
- Caverton Helicopters picks Thales for AW139 simulator
- DART High Capacity Cargo Nets fit the bill for Aeróleo Táxi Aéreo
- Toll Helicopters and Seeing Machines have joined forces
- CHC Australia completes roll out of Leonardo AW139
- DART launches its new AW139 Skylight Window
- LCI Grows Australia-Based helicopter fleet
- Gulf Helicopters has selected SKYTRAC to Equip Fleet