The United States Helicopter Safety Team (USHST), has developed a free mobile app for iPads, iPhones, and Android phones that will provide helicopter pilots and operators with expert safety information at their fingertips at any time. The app, which will be available for download at Heli-Expo 2014, is the USHST’s first step in its “I Fly Safe” initiative aimed at improving safety education and reducing accidents.
The USHST is a sub-group of the International Helicopter Safety Team which leads a worldwide government and industry cooperative effort to address factors that are affecting an unacceptable helicopter accident rate.
Using the I Fly Safe app, pilots and operators have access to a library of the latest USHST safety bulletins, essays, fact sheets, and videos, plus a link to the new www.USHST.org web site. The USHST app can be downloaded from the Apple Store to any mobile device.
“With this initiative, we are able to place safety information inside the cockpit and directly in the hands of pilots,” explains Bill Chiles, president and chief executive officer of Bristow Group and the Industry Co-chairman of the USHST. “This can offer helicopter operators useful knowledge whenever they need it.”
After this initial step, USHST plans to expand the mobile app and the I Fly Safe initiative later this year with an interactive learning component. The expanded app would offer a learning environment with interactive quizzes and games focused on enhancing helicopter safety awareness and skills. In addition, the USHST envisions that by using the full I Fly Safe mobile platform and its safety education offerings, pilots and operators will be able to earn credits in the FAA’s WINGS Pilot Proficiency Program. USHST is currently working with the FAA to develop this program.
Editor note – if searching in Appstore, search on USHST – you will not find it easily searching on iFlySafe….
- Sundance Helicopters Partners with Hillsboro Heli Academy
- Devon Air Ambulance pilot elected to prestigious flight safety post
- Speakers for 10th Anniversary Aeromedical Conference
- EU wide rules on drones published
- VIKING secures offshore helicopter PPE contract
- HeliOffshore Appoints New Communications Director
- Boeing Awarded $194M Contract for MH-47G Procurement
- 30 years of Christoph 51 in service
- Airbus to mark 50 years of pioneering achievements at Paris Air Show 2019
- US Navy Reservist Takes Helm of Helicopter Training Squadron 8
- Workhorse Group Secures Financing
- VFS Expands Support to eVTOL
- Specialist Aviation Services welcomes new CEO
- Nakanihon Air Service takes delivery of 20th H135
- Air Methods Added to Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama’s Air Ambulance Network
- GHS announces Red Cross contract in Nigeria
- Quark Expeditions new ship has two helipads and two helicopters
- Sikorsky Awarded $542M Contract for Presidential Helicopter Replacement Program Support
- Pacific Heliport Services Receives Provincial Grant
- Deloitte launches eVTOL market report