Launched on Monday St George’s Hospital new helipad is the second helipad to be built in London, and the first to be built south of the river Thames
The helipad cost £5m to build, with £1m being donated by the HELP charity appeal, and is expected to become fully functional following test flights.
It will mainly support Kent, Surrey and Sussex Air Ambulance and London Air Ambulance services by speeding up the time it takes to transfer patients that are injured or seriously ill as well as transferring patients to and from the hospital for specialist treatment.
There will be a slight increase in noise pollution for local residents, but it is to be noted that the helipad will only be operational during daylight hours, from 8.00am – 8.00pm, to ensure this is kept to a minimum.
The helipad, which took a year and half to build, sits some five storeys above the emergency department and has direct lift access from the rooftop. The structure further solidifies the hospitals position as one of the four major trauma centres in London where expert facilities and staff are available to save lives.
- USHST Initiatives Aim to Cut Down Fatal Accidents
- Russian Helicopters and Pratt & Whitney Canada sign contract
- Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron 8 Conducts Change of Command
- Raytheon debuts portable V-22 virtual reality trainer
- Honeywell collaborates with autonomous control innovator Daedalean
- Hungary takes delivery of its first two H145Ms
- Life Link III to help launch new research academy
- US Helicopter Occupant Safety – FAA online toolkit
- MDFR Orders AW139
- Airbus signs Global Support Contract for Tiger
- Boston MedFlight will now carry life-saving blood products
- LADWP Launches Human External Cargo Program
- Lockheed Martin makes Australia/NZ helicopter appointment
- Airbus improves service request facility in Keycopter portal
- MD Helicopters receive fourth Afghan MD530F order
- Helijet appoints Director of Maintenance
- 723 Squadron helicopters achieve 10,000 flying hours
- Inmarsat unveils new SwiftBroadband Helo X-Stream
- Babcock Offshore secures new North Sea helicopter contract
- Essex & Herts Air Ambulance base gets green light