AgustaWestland, a Finmeccanica company, is pleased to announce that autorotation trials for the AW609 TiltRotor program have been completed successfully. Between the end of March and early April 10 dedicated flight hours saw more than 70 power-off conversions from airplane mode to helicopter mode flown from the Arlington (Texas) facility in the USA. The tests were flown under auspices of FAA and covered the full wind-milling and autorotation envelopes, marking another major achievement for the program development.
The handling qualities of the aircraft were very benign throughout the testing and the performance of the aircraft exceeded expected characteristics seen during preparation in the engineering simulator in Arlington Texas. Together, the test pilots and engineers were able to develop the best flight maneuvers that will ultimately allow training of commercial pilots in the planned full flight simulator. This latest goal provides further evidence of the AW609’s quality in terms of design, performance and safety in the most demanding conditions.
This accomplishment follows the completion of the AW609 flight envelope expansion trials in December 2013. The concurrent industrialization phase of the AW609 is also taking shape across the AgustaWestland network and associated supply chain, with new equipment and tooling being acquired to guarantee existing orders can start to be fulfilled immediately after FAA type certification.
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government evaluates the AW609 tiltrotor’s unique capabilities to revolutionize connections with Ogasawara island
- Tokyo to evaluate AW609 for Ogasawara link
- Manufacturing of Tiltrotor AW609 wind tunnel model via SLS and Windform
- Leonardo flies fourth AW609
- Leonardo to expand US training with AW169 and AW609 simulators
- Leonardo to produce AW609 tiltrotor Level D Full Flight Simulator
- Era to launch AW609 into US with two aircraft in 2020
- Canada certifies PT6C-67A engine for AW609
- Leonardo AW609 programme moves forward
- Leonardo rolls out AW609 in Philadelphia
- AW609 prototype moves from Arlington to Philadelphia to resume flight tests
- AW609 resumes test flights
- Third AW609 prototype starts ground runs
- Era Helicopters to help develop EMS role for AW609
- Top 10 stories on HeliHub.com in 2015
- UAE signs for three AW609s in SAR role
- AgustaWestland AW609 test flight – fatal accident
- 30-Oct-15 N609AG AgustaWestland AW609 Vercelli, Italy (2F)
- Héroux-Devtek to provide AW609 landing gear systems
- AW609 claims 1000km record of 2 hours 18 minutes