FLIR Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ: FLIR) today announced financial results for the first quarter ended March 31, 2014. Revenue was $351.5 million, up 1% compared to first quarter 2013 revenue of$348.6 million. Operating income in the first quarter was $42.5 million, compared to $69.1 million in the first quarter of 2013, and was impacted by $8.4 million in pretax charges related to previously-announced restructuring initiatives. First quarter 2014 net income was $29.9 million, or $0.21 per diluted share, compared with net income of $51.6 million, or $0.35per diluted share in the first quarter a year ago. The net after tax impact of the restructuring charges in the first quarter was approximately $6.4 million, or $0.04 per diluted share. Cash provided by operations in the first quarter was $59.8 million, a decrease of 3% compared to the first quarter of 2013.
Revenue from FLIR’s Surveillance segment was $117.2 million, a decrease of 1% from the first quarter results last year. The Instruments segment contributed $84.1 million of revenue during the first quarter, up 7% from the prior year. The OEM & Emerging Markets segment had $53.8 million of revenue, an increase of 7% over the prior year. Revenue from the Maritime segment was $52.6 million, and was up 4% over the first quarter of 2013. FLIR’s Security segment recorded revenue of $29.3 million in the first quarter, down 1% from the prior year. The Detection segment contributed $14.6 millionof revenue, a decrease of 33% from the prior year.
FLIR’s backlog of firm orders for delivery within the next twelve months was approximately $514 million as of March 31, 2014, an increase of $24 million during the quarter.
“Our first quarter results were in-line with our expectations. Healthy growth in our commercial-oriented markets was offset by declines in government-funded sectors. We continued executing on our realignment plan, which we believe will be a valuable investment for our long-term performance,” said Andy Teich, President and CEO of FLIR. “We expect continued improvement as we move throughout this year and are excited about our product pipeline that is enabled by our new Lepton core.”
Revenue and Earnings Outlook for 2014
Based on financial results for the first three months of 2014 and the outlook for the remainder of the year, FLIR is reaffirming its outlook for revenue and earnings per share for the full year 2014. Management expects revenue for 2014 to be in the range of $1.45 billion to $1.55 billion and net earnings excluding restructuring charges associated with the business realignment to be in the range of $1.40 to $1.50 per diluted share.
FLIR’s Board of Directors has declared a quarterly cash dividend of $0.10 per share on FLIR common stock, payable June 6, 2014, to shareholders of record as of close of business on May 20, 2014.
FLIR has scheduled a conference call at 11:00 a.m. ET (8:00 a.m. PT) today to discuss its results for the quarter and the year. A simultaneous webcast of the conference call may be accessed online from a link in the Events & Presentations section of www.FLIR.com/investor. A replay will be available after 2:00 p.m. ET (11:00 a.m. PT) at this same Internet address. Summary first quarter and historical financial data can be accessed online from the Financial Info Database link atwww.FLIR.com/investor.
About FLIR Systems
FLIR Systems, Inc. is a world leader in the design, manufacture, and marketing of sensor systems that enhance perception and awareness. FLIR’s advanced systems and components are used for a wide variety of thermal imaging, situational awareness, and security applications, including airborne and ground-based surveillance, condition monitoring, navigation, recreation, research and development, manufacturing process control, search and rescue, drug interdiction, transportation safety, border and maritime patrol, environmental monitoring, and chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear, and explosives (CBRNE) threat detection. For more information, visit FLIR’s web site at www.FLIR.com.
- Trinidad & Tobago Air Guard to reactivate one of four AW139s
- ATSB reminds pilots of Low Rotor RPM response time
- Former Bristow Nigeria employees in court on parts theft charges
- Ace Aeronautics opens paint booth and media blast facility
- Uber Elevate teams with GE Aviation for flight data monitoring
- BAC Helicopters helps fight locust swarms in Kenya
- Astronautics RoadRunner EFI installed in Santa Barbara County Black Hawk
- Boost Systems improves HEC Suspension Line System
- Deadline to Apply for WAI Scholarships Here
- New-generation Euroflir410 selected for NH90 TFRA & Special forces
- Leonardo demonstrates helicopter-UAV teaming in the UK with its AW159 Wildcat
- Starspeed to manage two H145s on new polar vessel Ultramarine
- Ontario gold prospecting uses helicopter-borne geophysical survey
- Leonardo CEO Profumo given 6 year jail sentence and €2.5M file
- US Marine Corps retires AH-1W Cobra after 34 years
- NHV Group appoints Head of Commercial
- Simrik Air has initiated air ambulance services for COVID-19 patients
- CAE hands over CAE 700MR NH90 simulator to Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Helipad reopens at Ellwood City Medical Center
- Russian Helicopters delivers five Mi-8MTV-1