DHL has found an even better route for meeting urgent delivery commitments in the midst of traffic gridlock in the United States: through the air. A new helicopter service now provides early morning delivery services for several major banking customers in the downtown Los Angeles area.
DHL Express has introduced the helicopter service into its Los Angeles operation as a way to guarantee early morning 9:00 a.m. delivery service regardless of traffic bottlenecks. Initially used by specific financial services customers, this service will expand to include additional customers in the Los Angeles area.
“DHL is always looking for innovative ways to move our customers’ shipments with the greatest speed and reliability,” said Mike Parra, CEO of DHL Express U.S. “When business demands early deliveries at the ’speed of yellow’, DHL Express brings additional assurance with a first-of-its-kind helicopter service to the L.A. market.”
DHL Gateway at Los Angeles International Airport
International shipments arrive at the DHL Gateway at Los Angeles International Airport, with specific packages transported by helicopter to a dedicated heliport in the city center. A DHL courier meets the helicopter and provides the final mile deliveries.
The DHL helicopter, a “Twinstar” Eurocopter AS355, is operated for DHL by Helinet of Van Nuys, California, and can transport over 350 kg of letters and packages.
A DHL helicopter service is also used in New York, providing lifts from the DHL gateway at John F Kennedy International Airport to prime U.S. bank headquarters and Federal bank locations, making stops in central Manhattan and at New Jersey’s Teterboro Airport to speed deliveries of important financial and legal documents.
- DART gets TCCA, FAA and EASA approvals
- Columbia Helicopters moves their ELITE AS355
- Meeker-Airfilm receives EASA STC for AFSP-V2
- EASA issues STC for AS350/AS355 automatically deployable ELT built by SPAES
- Boost Systems Dual Hook Systems and Personnel Carrying Devise approved for B407 and AS350/355
- Remote GeoSystems and North Shore Rescue deploy geoDVR and FLIR gimbal for SAR
- Oceania Aviation completes first AS355 Max-Vis EVS install
- 02-Jun-17 Eurocopter AS355F Newark, US-New Jersey
- Aero Design launches AS350/355 Quick Release Bike Racks
- Vector Aerospace to overhaul another AS355 for Aero Asahi
- Pacific Crown Helicopters win new helicopter maintenance approvals
- Dart Aerospace to exhibit helicopter floats at SAFE Europe Symposium
- Able Doubles Hydraulics Facility and Adds New Servo Capabilities
- Bell prepares to fly 300th 429
- Attorney Settles Malpractice Suit in Billionaire AS355 Bahamas Crash
- UK – Heli Air adds first twin to charter fleet
- Airbus extends UTair training approvals
- VIH Aerospace Delivers Rejuvenated Bell 205 to HeliMax Aviation
- Maxcraft Avionics Announces new FAA STC for the Mid-Continent MD302 SAM in Airbus Helicopters (Eurocopter)
- 29-May-15 PR-ADA Airbus AS355N Atalaia do Norte, Brazil (5F)