Plans to move Glasgow Heliport were first aired at least four years ago as the site owners wanted to use the land for a hotel. Ever since its launch, the Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre have been supportive of the heliport in one corner of its site alongside the River Clyde, so there was no hint of losing the facility for Scotland’s largest city.
Over the last couple of weeks, Bond Air Services – who operate the heliport – have moved everything a mile and a half west of the current site to a new location at Govan, adjacent to the southside entrance to the Clyde Tunnel. The heliport thus moves form the north to the south bank of the river, and is located between Linthouse Road and Holmfauld Road – once the site of shipbuilders Alexander Stephen Ltd. The ICAO airfield code remains as EGEG.
The new facility has hangarage for two helicopters and a total of six helipads are available according to the plans submitted to the local authority back in 2010/2011.
The Scottish Police and Scottish Ambulance Service each base an Airbus Helicopters EC135 at Glasgow Heliport, which also serves as a maintenance base for a third EC135 they operate for the Northern Lighthouse Board.
Bond is expected to issue a press release in due course, which we will add below this story
Jeremy Parkin – HeliHub.com
- Trump proposes import duties on Airbus helicopters built in EU
- Trakka Systems announces TLX Searchlight Order
- 24-Feb-19 9H-VIP Airbus EC135 Valetta, Malta
- Hungary buys nine pre-owned Airbus EC135s
- 13-Feb-19 D-HJMD Airbus EC135P2 Neustadt an der Orla, Germany
- SPAES procures nine medical racks for EC135 installation
- Airbus EC135 – FAA AD 2013-21-05R1 – Bearings
- Lider receives two new H135s
- Installation of SLANT-console in Airbus EC135
- Red Arrows Support Handover of First ACH135 for charter ops
- ACH Displays New ACH135 Helionix
- Babcock renews Great Western Air Ambulance contract for 5 years
- Babcock to upgrade five EC135s for WPD
- New mission systems extend the capabilities for the German Federal Police Air Support
- German Federal Police procures mission systems from ESG
- CHC introduces AW189 in Australia
- ALT wins German military contract with five EC135s
- NHSL adds EC135 and AW139 in Trinidad and Tobago
- Police Scotland to support EC135 with two drones
- Great Western Air Ambulance upgrade to EC135T2+