FLIR Systems, Inc. announced today that its Star SAFIRE 380-HDc was selected by the Norway Ministry of Justice and Public Securityfor its new fleet of AW101 helicopters to be used in Norway’s All Weather Search and RescueHelicopter (NAWSARH) program. Deliveries will commence this year, with an in-service date of 2017.
FLIR’s Star SAFIRE 380-HDc selection allows the latest generation of high-definition, multispectral imaging to be used by aircrews in this demanding SAR role, recognized to be the harshest SAR environment in the world.
The Norway Ministry of Justice and Public Securityawarded the NAWSARH contract to AgustaWestland in December 2013. Deliveries of the AW101 helicopters to the Royal Norwegian Air Force, who will fly and operate the aircraft, will beginin 2017 and continue through to 2020. The 16 aircraft will be assembled at AgustaWestland’sYeovil facility in the UK.
AgustaWestland will provide initial support and training services, including spares at each of the operating bases and aircrew training, and will provide performance-based logistic support to deliver approximately 90,000 flying hours across the fleet of 16 helicopters over the initial 15 year period.
FLIR has been providing StarSAFIRE systems and product support to European SAR and Police operators for more than 20 years, and continues to achieve an operational availability greater than 99%. FLIR product support, already in place for other UK Police and SAR operators, will blend seamlessly withAgustaWestland’ssupport model for NAWSARH, and its in-country partner, AIM. Working in close association with AgustaWestland, the SAR aircrew training will include familiarization with the capabilities of StarSAFIRE 380-HDc.
The specific StarSAFIRE 380-HDc configuration selected for NAWSARH includes the latest high definition variants of infrared (IR), day-camera, and short wave infrared (SWIR) sensors, coupled with GeoLock high accuracy scene coordinate location, Moving Target Indication, and augmented image enhancement.
The Star SAFIRE 380-HDc represents a paradigm shift in airborne imaging, offering a previously unattainable combination of long stand-off observation capability in a compact physical size. The Star SAFIRE 380-HDc sensor system is now entering service in SAR operations, law enforcement, military, and border surveillance missions worldwide. The Star SAFIRE 380-HDc contains advanced payload configurations with multiple high definition sensors, including a full native high definition infrared camera with zoom optics, making the Star SAFIRE 380-HDc the world’s only commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS) airborne system to provide real high definition thermal imaging in this class.
“FLIR is proud to be selected by the Norway Ministry of Justice and Public Security and AgustaWestlandfor the NAWSARH program,” said Thomas A. Surran, Chief Operating Officer of FLIR.“We take pride in our ability to offer lifesaving technology to agencies around the world, and do so with our unique commercially-developed, military-qualified operating model that yields exceptional total cost of ownership, superior performance, high quality, and excellent support for our customers. Together with AgustaWestland, our products and people will be there when people in distress need the right technology and service to be brought to safety”
Launch customers for the Star SAFIRE 380-HDcsystem include USA Law Enforcement Agencies and SAR / C-SAR operators in the Middle East and Asia.
About FLIR Systems
FLIR Systems, Inc. is a world leader in the design, manufacture, and marketing of sensorsystems that enhance perception and awareness. FLIR’s advanced systems andcomponents are used for a wide variety of thermal imaging, situational awareness, andsecurity applications, including airborne and ground-based surveillance, conditionmonitoring, navigation, recreation, research and development, manufacturing processcontrol, search and rescue, drug interdiction, transportation safety, border and maritimepatrol, environmental monitoring, and chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear, andexplosives (CBRNE) threat detection.
- GVH Aerospace secures contract with Leonardo
- 06-Nov-19 MM81487 Leonardo AW101 Tyrrhenian Sea, Italy
- 380 mln EUR contract for maritime multirole helicopters with the Polish Ministry of National Defense
- Polish Ministry of National Defence signs Agreement for AW101
- Kongsberg opens new transmission MRO facility for AW101 and NH90
- Leonardo wins Canadian SAR AW101 upgrade contract
- First Leonardo AW101 Commando Merlin delivered to the Commando
- Dallas Airmotive reduces PW206C Engine Overhaul TAT to 35 days
- RoadRunner EFI on display at HAI Heli-Expo
- Leonardo delivers first Norwegian SAR AW101
- Thailand signs AW101 MoU with Leonardo
- AW101 is focus for Leonardo at MSPO 2017 in Poland
- First Royal Navy AW101 Merlin Mk.4 flies
- Norway opens AW101 Training Centre
- Leonardo joins IMP again for Canadian AW101 upgrade program
- Team Cormorant re-established for Canadian AW101 Mid-Life Upgrade
- 21-May-17 Leonardo AW101 Hamr el Ain, Algeria (3F)
- Canadian Defence Minister wants B412 and AW101 upgrades
- Onboard Systems contracted for AW169 and AW101 HEC Secondary Hook Kits
- Indonesian AW101 Investigation