Bond Air Services have confirmed to HeliHub.com that the contract they have with Great Western Air Ambulance will see an aircraft upgrade in October 2014. The move is largely prompted by their current Bo105 being incapable of operating from the newly-opened helipad at Bristol Royal Infirmary, one of two hospitals in the centre of GWAA’s operational area. The charity had previously targeted a date in August.
Recent operational tests of the Bristol Royal Infirmary helipad just prior to its official opening were flown using GWAA’s Bo105, but with the aircraft stripped out of most of its interior to allow it to operate within safety limits. The helicopter is shown in the image below during these trials.
Bond have lined up G-WMAS for Great Western Air Ambulance, an EC135T2 model. This 2001-build aircraft has about 5,500 flying hours and has served the majority of its life with Midlands Air Ambulance, who replaced it with a new night-capable EC135T2e in late February 2014. G-WMAS then did a stint with Hampshire and Isle of Wight Air Ambulance as an interim aircraft for a few months – and they too now have an as-new EC135, albeit a pre-owned airframe acquired from Azerbaijan. G-WMAS is expected to be resprayed in the green/black colours of Great Western Air Ambulance along with its notable blue heart-rate stripe ready for October.
The move to the EC135 by Great Western will leave just one air ambulance Bo105 in the UK, with Scotland’s Charity Air Ambulance.
Jeremy Parkin – HeliHub.com
- Hungary buys nine pre-owned Airbus EC135s
- 13-Feb-19 D-HJMD Airbus EC135P2 Neustadt an der Orla, Germany
- SPAES procures nine medical racks for EC135 installation
- Airbus EC135 – FAA AD 2013-21-05R1 – Bearings
- Lider receives two new H135s
- Installation of SLANT-console in Airbus EC135
- Red Arrows Support Handover of First ACH135 for charter ops
- ACH Displays New ACH135 Helionix
- Babcock renews Great Western Air Ambulance contract for 5 years
- Babcock to upgrade five EC135s for WPD
- New mission systems extend the capabilities for the German Federal Police Air Support
- German Federal Police procures mission systems from ESG
- CHC introduces AW189 in Australia
- ALT wins German military contract with five EC135s
- NHSL adds EC135 and AW139 in Trinidad and Tobago
- Police Scotland to support EC135 with two drones
- Great Western Air Ambulance upgrade to EC135T2+
- Thales delivers first full-flight simulator to CAAC
- Australia impressed by EC135 as a training platform
- 04-Jun-17 OE-BXY Airbus EC135 Hochsteiermark, Austria (2F)