General Dynamics UK, in partnership with AgustaWestland, has commenced development work to modify its Tactical Processing System for integration into the AW101 Merlin Mk4.
This development work is part of the Merlin Life Sustainment Programme (MLSP), a contract awarded to AgustaWestland in January 2014 to convert 25 AW101 Merlin helicopters for maritime operations. It will further improve the Tactical Processing System’s performance to address the broader requirements of the Merlin Mk4 platform, whilst introducing General Dynamics UK’s Secure Data Recorder to provide increased secure data storage capability.
The Tactical Processing System is an evolution of the General Dynamics UK Tactical Processing System currently installed on the AgustaWestland AW159 platform, which integrates a diverse range of sensor and application information for display in the cockpit, encrypted data storage and tactical datalink capability.
General Dynamics UK’s Secure Data Recorder provides an accredited security solution that allows a user operating in unfriendly environments to safely record and store data for further use. Qualified for manned and unmanned platforms operating in the air, on land and in maritime environments, the Secure Data Recorder enables the transfer of data on and off all types of platforms using an easily inserted encrypted memory cartridge. Typical data transfers include the uploading of mission and digital map data, along with the extraction of recorded data such as radar and electro-optical sensors, voice and data communications and tactical mission data.
Steve Rowbotham, chief operating officer at General Dynamics UK, said: “The evolution of the Tactical Processing System for the AW101 Merlin Mk4 continues the successful long-term collaborative relationship between General Dynamics UK and AgustaWestland. It is recognition of the highly-capable electronic solutions General Dynamics UK currently provides on a variety of different platforms.”
General Dynamics UK is a key provider of technology onto Eurofighter Typhoon, Tornado and the AgustaWestland AW101 Merlin Mk 3 and UK AW159 Lynx Wildcat platforms. The company has more than 30 years of experience providing advanced electronic solutions for the air, maritime and land markets.
- 06-Nov-19 MM81487 Leonardo AW101 Tyrrhenian Sea, Italy
- 380 mln EUR contract for maritime multirole helicopters with the Polish Ministry of National Defense
- Polish Ministry of National Defence signs Agreement for AW101
- Kongsberg opens new transmission MRO facility for AW101 and NH90
- Leonardo wins Canadian SAR AW101 upgrade contract
- First Leonardo AW101 Commando Merlin delivered to the Commando
- Dallas Airmotive reduces PW206C Engine Overhaul TAT to 35 days
- RoadRunner EFI on display at HAI Heli-Expo
- Leonardo delivers first Norwegian SAR AW101
- Thailand signs AW101 MoU with Leonardo
- AW101 is focus for Leonardo at MSPO 2017 in Poland
- First Royal Navy AW101 Merlin Mk.4 flies
- Norway opens AW101 Training Centre
- Leonardo joins IMP again for Canadian AW101 upgrade program
- Team Cormorant re-established for Canadian AW101 Mid-Life Upgrade
- 21-May-17 Leonardo AW101 Hamr el Ain, Algeria (3F)
- Canadian Defence Minister wants B412 and AW101 upgrades
- Onboard Systems contracted for AW169 and AW101 HEC Secondary Hook Kits
- Indonesian AW101 Investigation
- Indonesian Air Force Looks into AW-101 Helicopter Purchase