AgustaWestland is pleased to announce that Terna SpA of Italy has placed an order for one AW109 Power light twin helicopter. The aircraft, which will perform electricity infrastructure monitoring in Italy, will be delivered in 2015.
The AW109 Power was chosen after a rigorous and demanding evaluation process by the customer thanks to its outstanding performance, cabin space for the task, safety standards and overall cost effectiveness. Introducing their very first twin engine aircraft allows Terna to perform missions in congested areas with the required levels of safety and performance. This is the first contract signed by Terna for a Finmeccanica – AgustaWestland helicopter and continues the success of the manufacturer’s helicopter models in the aerial work and utility markets. Recent similar successes in this market include a contract awarded by Teias to HeliStar in Turkey to provide electricity infrastructure monitoring services using three AW119Ke helicopters.
Terna aims to continually improve the monitoring of transmission lines and works on pursuing new techniques of inspection. Visual and instrumental patrols carried out from a helicopter by Terna’s technicians with the support of High Definition TV and infrared cameras, brought about significant improvements in inspection efficiency. This has contributed to raise the quality of service, thanks to a better knowledge of anomalies on the components of the electric lines. To undertake this process Terna has decided to acquire its own helicopters fleet which will includes this AW109 Power.
The AW109 Power is a highly versatile twin engine helicopter and offers the highest levels of performance with low operating costs. More than 480 helicopters have been ordered for both civil and paramilitary purposes by over 250 customers in more than 50 countries. The AW109 Power can perform a wide range of roles including aerial work, VIP/corporate transport, law enforcement, emergency medical service, maritime applications, harbour pilot shuttle and training.
Terna is a major electricity transmission grid operator, the first independent operator in Europe and sixth largest in the world for kilometers of electricity lines managed. The Group structure is made up of the holding company, Terna Spa, that heads two fully owned companies: Terna Rete Italia and Terna Plus. The Terna Group employs over 3,500 professionals and is responsible for grid planning, development and maintenance, joining competence, technology and innovation. Through its subsidiary, Terna Rete Italia, it safely manages the National Transmission Grid with over 63,500 km of high voltage electricity lines and has the responsibility, 365 days a year, 24 hours a day, for electricity transmission and supply.
- Penzance Helicopters to launch with AW109 GrandNew due to Coronavirus
- Astronautics AFI 4700 RoadRunner EFI gains FAA STC for AW109E Power
- Bulgarian Border Guard upgrades AW109
- Intermountain Healthcare adds another AW109 GrandNew f
- Civil helicopter market presence grows in South Africa
- Brazil approves Astronautics EFI on AW109 and AW119
- Korean CAA approves AW109 simulator
- 28-Jun-19 N11NM Leonardo AW109S Brainerd Lakes, US-Minnesota (2F)
- SPECTO Aerospace appointed helicopter Blade Repair Centre
- FAA approves Astronautics EFI on Leonardo AW109 and AW119
- 10-Jun-19 N200BK Leonardo AW109E Manhattan, US-New York (1F)
- Apollo Air Services to operate first AW109 Trekker in UK
- Sloane extend Leonardo distributorship and sign for two more AW109s
- Dallas Airmotive Launches Engine Maintenance Program for AW109 Trekker
- 15-Dec-18 Leonardo AW109S Serra de Pias, Portugal (4F)
- Leonardo presents the AW109 Trekker
- ICON Aviation appointed an official distributor for the AW109 Trekker in Brazil
- Sloane Helicopters opens up Irish corporate market with AW109 GrandNew sale
- Sloane Helicopters wins Irish EMS contract with AW109
- Leonardo adds Authorised Service Centre in Chile