On 16 July Commander Steve Thomas took over command of 824 Naval Air Squadron from his predecessor Commander Nick Gibbons, who moves on to an appointment at Joint Headquarters in Northwood, London.
Commander Thomas joins 824 NAS as development of Merlin Mk 2 continues and the important role of the Merlin Training Facility are crucial to feeding the three front line Merlin units with pilots, observers, aircrewmen and engineers based at Royal Naval Air Station Culdrose.
Steve added, “It’s fantastic to be back at Culdrose and really great to be taking over 824 Naval Air Squadron today”.
Steve Thomas joined the Royal Navy as a direct entry aviator in 1991. Completing flying training he joined 814 NAS in 1996 where he served as a Sea King Anti Submarine Warfare Pilot.
He has since flown Merlin and Squirrel helicopters in a wide variety of roles as a Qualified Helicopter Instructor. He has served aboard Aircraft Carriers, Royal Fleet Auxiliaries and ashore across the globe from Scotland to the Middle East, the Indian Ocean and the Persian Gulf.
As an Officer of the Naval Flying Standards Flight between 2006 and 2008, he contributed to the oversight and assessment of aviation standards and practices across the Fleet Air Arm and the wider UK service environment.
Between 2009 and 2010 he completed a tour within Navy Command HQ as a staff officer with oversight of the Royal Navy Flying Training pipeline.
Prior to attending Advanced Command and Staff Course, from September 2012 to July 2013, he was the Senior Pilot of 820 NAS. Briefly, before taking Command of 824 NAS he spent 6 months in HQ British Forces Gibraltar as Staff Officer Ops Support and held the honorary position of Commanding Officer Royal Navy
Speaking about his New Command with 824 NAS and the role his aircraft play, Steve said:
“Merlin Mk 2 represents a really great leap forward in capability for the aircraft; it’s an exciting time across the Fleet Air Arm not just at Culdrose. New aircraft coming online, new Ships coming online there couldn’t be a better time to take over a squadron”.
- 06-Nov-19 MM81487 Leonardo AW101 Tyrrhenian Sea, Italy
- 380 mln EUR contract for maritime multirole helicopters with the Polish Ministry of National Defense
- Polish Ministry of National Defence signs Agreement for AW101
- Kongsberg opens new transmission MRO facility for AW101 and NH90
- Leonardo wins Canadian SAR AW101 upgrade contract
- First Leonardo AW101 Commando Merlin delivered to the Commando
- Dallas Airmotive reduces PW206C Engine Overhaul TAT to 35 days
- RoadRunner EFI on display at HAI Heli-Expo
- Leonardo delivers first Norwegian SAR AW101
- Thailand signs AW101 MoU with Leonardo
- AW101 is focus for Leonardo at MSPO 2017 in Poland
- First Royal Navy AW101 Merlin Mk.4 flies
- Norway opens AW101 Training Centre
- Leonardo joins IMP again for Canadian AW101 upgrade program
- Team Cormorant re-established for Canadian AW101 Mid-Life Upgrade
- 21-May-17 Leonardo AW101 Hamr el Ain, Algeria (3F)
- Canadian Defence Minister wants B412 and AW101 upgrades
- Onboard Systems contracted for AW169 and AW101 HEC Secondary Hook Kits
- Indonesian AW101 Investigation
- Indonesian Air Force Looks into AW-101 Helicopter Purchase