Minister for Defence Senator David Johnston today announced he has given Combined Pass approval for an interim Tactical Data Link for the Tiger Armed Reconnaissance Helicopters in service with the Australian Army.
Under LAND 2089 Phase 3B, a total of 21 Tiger helicopters will be upgraded with a tactical information exchange solution that further integrates the Tiger into the combined arms land force battlespace.
“The interim Tactical Data Link will improve the Tiger’s situational awareness in the battlespace by improving the helicopter’s ability to receive in flight tactical positioning of friendly and known enemy forces,” Senator Johnston said.
“Through this data link the Tigers will be able to share targeting information, coordinate battlefield movements and tactical objectives, and transmit real-time reconnaissance information between the aircraft and the land forces.”
Senator Johnston said the project will also inform potential future upgrades for the Tiger that will deliver a fully integrated tactical data link solution after 2020, building on the existing lessons provided by this interim configuration.
The acquisition is valued at less than $20 million and will include the associated training and support to fully enable a Tactical Data Link capability.
Industry opportunities for this project in acquisition will be predominantly managed by Elbit Systems Australia, as the software and battle management system developer, and Airbus Group Australia Pacific, who will conduct the aircraft technical modification works.
Through life support to the project will be managed under existing contract arrangements relating to the particular components of the tactical data link capability.
Senator Johnston said the upgrade was an important step in the continued enhancement and modernisation of the ADF as a well rounded, integrated, and capable modern fighting force.
- Trinidad & Tobago Air Guard to reactivate one of four AW139s
- ATSB reminds pilots of Low Rotor RPM response time
- Former Bristow Nigeria employees in court on parts theft charges
- Ace Aeronautics opens paint booth and media blast facility
- Uber Elevate teams with GE Aviation for flight data monitoring
- BAC Helicopters helps fight locust swarms in Kenya
- Astronautics RoadRunner EFI installed in Santa Barbara County Black Hawk
- Boost Systems improves HEC Suspension Line System
- Deadline to Apply for WAI Scholarships Here
- New-generation Euroflir410 selected for NH90 TFRA & Special forces
- Leonardo demonstrates helicopter-UAV teaming in the UK with its AW159 Wildcat
- Starspeed to manage two H145s on new polar vessel Ultramarine
- Ontario gold prospecting uses helicopter-borne geophysical survey
- Leonardo CEO Profumo given 6 year jail sentence and €2.5M file
- US Marine Corps retires AH-1W Cobra after 34 years
- NHV Group appoints Head of Commercial
- Simrik Air has initiated air ambulance services for COVID-19 patients
- CAE hands over CAE 700MR NH90 simulator to Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Helipad reopens at Ellwood City Medical Center
- Russian Helicopters delivers five Mi-8MTV-1