Minister for Defence Senator David Johnston today announced he has given Combined Pass approval for an interim Tactical Data Link for the Tiger Armed Reconnaissance Helicopters in service with the Australian Army.
Under LAND 2089 Phase 3B, a total of 21 Tiger helicopters will be upgraded with a tactical information exchange solution that further integrates the Tiger into the combined arms land force battlespace.
“The interim Tactical Data Link will improve the Tiger’s situational awareness in the battlespace by improving the helicopter’s ability to receive in flight tactical positioning of friendly and known enemy forces,” Senator Johnston said.
“Through this data link the Tigers will be able to share targeting information, coordinate battlefield movements and tactical objectives, and transmit real-time reconnaissance information between the aircraft and the land forces.”
Senator Johnston said the project will also inform potential future upgrades for the Tiger that will deliver a fully integrated tactical data link solution after 2020, building on the existing lessons provided by this interim configuration.
The acquisition is valued at less than $20 million and will include the associated training and support to fully enable a Tactical Data Link capability.
Industry opportunities for this project in acquisition will be predominantly managed by Elbit Systems Australia, as the software and battle management system developer, and Airbus Group Australia Pacific, who will conduct the aircraft technical modification works.
Through life support to the project will be managed under existing contract arrangements relating to the particular components of the tactical data link capability.
Senator Johnston said the upgrade was an important step in the continued enhancement and modernisation of the ADF as a well rounded, integrated, and capable modern fighting force.
- HeliOffshore Appoints Chief Executive Officer
- Patria consolidates its helicopter maintenance operations in Norway
- Russian Helicopters delivers two Mi-8MTV-1 to Yamal Airlines
- NATA Announces 2020-2021 Board of Directors
- UAE and US Forces Conduct Combined Joint Operations in Arabian Gulf
- Kawasaki receives 5-blade H145 order from Thai corporate operator
- Arista wins five year $111M extension to UH-1 maintenance contract
- Bell Delivers the First TV News Helicopter to China
- Garmin® GI 275 electronic flight instrument CDI/MFD ready for helicopter installations
- GPMS Foresight HUMS now active on B407GXi
- Leading Edge Aviation adds B407GX to fleet
- StandardAero Completes Consolidation of Helicopter Centers of Excellence
- US EMS Operator contracts for first IFR-certified AW119
- HTM Helicopter Travel Munich appoints new Managing Director
- US approves sale of eight MV-22s Ospreys to Indonesia
- Airbus facilitates first e-delivery in Asia Pacific
- SPAES modifies AS350 external mirror mounting
- Schiebel Camcopter to fly Coast Guard ops in Finland, Sweden and Estonia
- CHC and UniFly extend Hornsea wind farm support contract
- Alouette III helicopter celebrates 57 years with Portuguese Air Force