HeliHub.com understands that AgustaWestland are working on a higher gross weight AW139. With the current model topping out at 6,400kg all up weight, and an optional approval up to 6,800 kg, plans are apparently well advanced for a 7,000kg version including a change in tail boom construction. There will be a gap in the serial number sequences. The Italian production line is currently around MSN 31570 and will jump to 31701 for the new model. The US production line is at 41395 and is expected the numbers will jump to 41501.
We do not have a time scale on the new model. The 7,000kg gross weight puts the very successful AW139 – with over 700 delivered to date – will close the gap against the Airbus EC175. The French built helicopter has been certified by EASA but no deliveries have yet been made to operators.
AgustaWestland were asked to comment on this story, but would only say that they “are continually looking at options to further increase the AW139’s class leading performance”.
Jeremy Parkin – HeliHub.com
- AW139 will be Colombia’s new Presidential helicopter
- Wiking takes delivery of latest AW139
- TAI marks composite landmarks, including AW139 production
- Italian Air Force enhances emergency response and homeland security capabilities
- Penzance Helicopters cancels schedules for over three months
- Babock re-launches scheduled services in Spain with AW139
- Spanish operator Helity adds new scheduled route
- THC wins AW139 contract from Red Sea Development Company
- Trinidad & Tobago Air Guard to reactivate one of four AW139s
- MDFR upgrades fleet with delivery of first AW139
- Penzance Helicopters introduces AW139 to Isles of Scilly service
- Global AirParts announces AW139 part out project
- Leonardo AW139 – EASA AD 2020-0191 : Equipment / Furnishings
- Changes coming for heliport at Macau International Airport
- Coptersafety appoints new AW139 Type Lead Instructor
- Lifeflight’s AW139 fleet marks milestone
- 24-Jul-20 VH-TJO Leonardo AW139 Goulburn, Australia
- Leonardo presents AW139 enhanced capabilities
- CHC and UniFly extend Hornsea wind farm support contract
- 20-Jun-20 VH-EGK Leonardo AW139 Caboolture, Australia