829 Naval Air Squadron – The Kingfishers – are celebrating their 10th anniversary since recommissioning as a squadron in 2004. But they are not waiting for a party to start with such a full programme ahead to keep them occupied.
Over the past 10 years the squadron is known for being one of the busiest at Royal Naval Air Station Culdrose, they are continually on the move; whether at Sea, returning from Sea or preparing for Sea.
The squadron provides helicopters for operations across the Globe on some of the Royal Navy’s Type-23 Frigates and Type 45 destroyers.
They operate around a Flight system consisting of a Headquarters for continuation training & administration and six independent Flights. They each have a single Merlin helicopter with two pilots, an observer and an aircrewman for flying duties and seven engineers to maintain the aircraft.
Whilst Merlin’s primary role is Anti-Submarine Warfare the versatile aircraft often finds itself engaged in a wide variety of roles, reacting to tasking often at very short notice.
Due to its size, speed and proven capability Merlin is also used in Maritime Security Operations. It is large enough to carry Royal Marines for sniper operations and boarding via fast roping, both which are vital to counter the threat of pirates. It is also fitted with a heavy machine gun as well as thermal imaging equipment and a variety of other sensors.
- 380 mln EUR contract for maritime multirole helicopters with the Polish Ministry of National Defense
- Polish Ministry of National Defence signs Agreement for AW101
- Kongsberg opens new transmission MRO facility for AW101 and NH90
- Leonardo wins Canadian SAR AW101 upgrade contract
- First Leonardo AW101 Commando Merlin delivered to the Commando
- Dallas Airmotive reduces PW206C Engine Overhaul TAT to 35 days
- RoadRunner EFI on display at HAI Heli-Expo
- Leonardo delivers first Norwegian SAR AW101
- Thailand signs AW101 MoU with Leonardo
- AW101 is focus for Leonardo at MSPO 2017 in Poland
- First Royal Navy AW101 Merlin Mk.4 flies
- Norway opens AW101 Training Centre
- Leonardo joins IMP again for Canadian AW101 upgrade program
- Team Cormorant re-established for Canadian AW101 Mid-Life Upgrade
- 21-May-17 Leonardo AW101 Hamr el Ain, Algeria (3F)
- Canadian Defence Minister wants B412 and AW101 upgrades
- Onboard Systems contracted for AW169 and AW101 HEC Secondary Hook Kits
- Indonesian AW101 Investigation
- Indonesian Air Force Looks into AW-101 Helicopter Purchase
- KONGSBERG and Leonardo sign agreements for NH-90 and AW101 helicopters