The Light Combat Helicopter (LCH) Technology Demonstrator TD-3 made the successful maiden flight here today. “Escorted by a Dhruv helicopter, the entire flight was flawless. It will be an effective weapon platform to deliver precision strikes at high altitude and we are confident it will meet the requirements of the IAF”, says Dr. R.K. Tyagi, Chairman HAL. “We are making all efforts to achieve IOC by September next year”, he adds.
In all HAL is expected to produce/manufacture 179 LCH for Indian Defence forces. Today’s flight was piloted by Wg Cdr Unni Pillai and co-piloted by Gp Capt SHK Nair. It took off at 15.20 hrs. and flew for 20 minutes.
The scope of this project covers design and development of two technology demonstrators, one full scale mock-up, one break away fuselage (BAF) and Initial Operational Clearance (IOC).
During development of LCH, HAL Board sanctioned LCH related projects, namely, Modified Rotor System, Manufacturing of TD-3 & TD-4 for acceleration of development flight testing, indigenous development of Integrated Avionics and Display System (lADS) & Automatic Flight Control System (AFCS) in order to reduce the dependency on foreign vendors and develop indigenous technology.
Breakaway fuselage of LCH was built and limit load testing was completed successfully in October 2012. LCH-TD-1 was first flown on March 29, 2010 and LCH-TD-2 was flown on June 28, 2011. Together TD-1 & TD-2, LCH has flown for 388 flights (285:10 hrs.).
For better planning, execution and monitoring of the project leading to enhancement of number of flights to achieve milestones of Cold Weather Trials, Hot Weather trails and weapon firing trials, HAL Board had sanctioned manufacturing of TD-3 and TD-4.
- Army Chief Flies HAL Light Combat Helicopter
- HAL LCH Demonstrates Unique Capability
- LCH makes maiden flight with indigenous control system
- HAL receives RFP for 15 Light Combat Helicopters
- Indian Defence minister launches Light Combat Helicopter production at HAL
- Safran announces first ground run of Arriel 2L2 engine
- India – HAL inches LCH closer to certification
- HAL plans LCH weapons trials
- HAL Completes Hot & High Trials of LCH
- HAL Completes Hot Weather Flight Trials of LCH
- Korean Government seals $1.5M deal with KAI to replace MD500 and AH-1 fleets
- Cold-Weather Tests Carried-out on LCH at Leh
- Airbus to partner KAI for South Korea’s Light Civil and Light Armed Helicopters
- Cold weather tests carried out on LCH at Leh
- HAL to set up Dhruv MROs in forward areas
- Prime Minister shows interest in Light Combat Helicopter at Aero India 2015
- HAL showcasing LCH and LUH at Aero India 2015
- More Ardiden power on new Indian helicopters
- HAL fast-tracks indigenous light combat chopper project
- KAI selected as a LCH／LAH developer