In late June, the Netherlands suspended deliveries of their fleet of NH90s due to significant wear and corrosion issues in the aircraft they already had delivered. In recent days, Defense Minister Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert has written to the Dutch parliament to say that she is confident with the manufacturer’s assurances to restart deliveries. This was likely to be a balance between getting all the issues resolved and not leaving the country short of helicopter power.
The Dutch military has worked with NH Industries extensively to analyse the problems with the NH90, and put together a so-called “Roadmap” (posh word for a project plan!) to ensure NHI are on course with their promises. NHI Has also accepted full costs incurred for the development of modifications, repair of corrosion damage and designing preventive measures.
No less than 100 issues were raised, and there are now solutions in place for 75 of these. The remaining 25 will be completed during the first half of 2015 during the planned maintenance schedule, some of which may see extended down time.
Jeremy Parkin – HeliHub.com
- New-generation Euroflir410 selected for NH90 TFRA & Special forces
- CAE hands over CAE 700MR NH90 simulator to Royal New Zealand Air Force
- First NH90 delivered to the Spanish Air Force for SAR missions
- France signs contract for upgraded NH90 TTH for Special Forces
- Royal Netherlands Air Force sends replacement NH90 to Curacao
- Safran to support German and Norwegian NH90 engines
- Nova Systems wins Norwegian NH90 contract
- Rheinmetall modernizing German NH90 flight simulators
- CAE to provide German Navy with NH90 training solution
- Spain receives NH90 simulator from Indra
- RNLAF NH90 to be upgraded with Hostile Fire Indicator System
- Netherlands Ministry of Defence opens new NH90 training facility
- Airbus delivers first NH90 Sea Lion to the German Armed Forces
- ST Engineering to support German NH90 fleet
- Airbus Helicopters and Elbe Flugzeugwerke take on maintenance activities
- German NH90s get upgrade with Rohde & Schwarz radios
- Sea Lion Successfully Completes Mission Demonstration
- Terma Aircraft Survivability Equipment on RNLAF NH90 Ready for Operational Use
- RUAG successfully completes the first NH90 inspection
- New contract between NHIndustries and the NATO Agency NAHEMA