L-3 WESCAM announced today that its MX™-15D designating turret was successfully used during a weapons demonstration on the Bell Boeing V-22
Osprey tiltrotor aircraft. The demonstration effort is part of the Advanced Technology Tiltrotor (ATTR) program. Through a cooperative agreement between Bell Helicopter and L-3 WESCAM, the first time designating trials were recently conducted over a 14-day period in November at the U.S. Army’s Yuma Proving Ground in Arizona.
“Flight trials were conducted to demonstrate the armed capability of the V-22 with precision and non-precision forward-firing weapons,” said Paul Jennison, vice president of government sales and business development for L-3 WESCAM. “The MX-15D was chosen to support the trials because of its field-proven laser designation performance when flown from SOCOM and AFSOC aircraft, both of which also fire precision laser-guided munitions.”
During the trials, the V-22 Osprey successfully launched conventional 70mm (2.75″) rockets, BAE Systems’ Advanced Precision Kill Weapon System (APKWS™) and Raytheon’s Griffin® B lightweight precision-guided missiles.
Another key successful trial of L-3 WESCAM’s MX-15D concluded in March 2013 when the system obtained Bell Helicopter’s qualification as an optional advanced targeting system for the company’s 407GT tactical helicopter.
L‐3’s MX‐15D is a multi‐sensor, multi‐spectral targeting system ideal for military operations,including medium-altitude covert intelligence, urveillance and reconnaissance; armed reconnaissance; CSAR; and target designation missions. The MX‐15D is the only stabilized turret solution that enables customers to incorporate up to five separate digital imaging and four
discrete laser capabilities into their configuration.
L-3 WESCAM is a world leader in the design and manufacture of stabilized, multi-spectralimaging systems. To learn more about L-3 WESCAM, please visit the company’s website at www.wescam.com.
Headquartered in New York City, L-3 employs approximately 48,000 people worldwide and is a prime contractor in aerospace systems and national security solutions. L-3 is also a leading provider of a broad range of communication and electronic systems and products used on military and commercial platforms. The company reported 2013 (revised) sales of $12.6 billion. To learn more about L-3, please visit the company’s website at www.L-3com.com.
Safe Harbor Statement Under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995
Except for historical information contained herein, the matters set forth in this news release are forward-looking statements. Statements that are predictive in nature, that depend upon or refer to events or conditions or that include words such as “expects,” “anticipates,” “intends,” “plans,”
“believes,” “estimates,” “will,” “could” and similar expressions are forward-looking statements. The forward-looking statements set forth above involve a number of risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from any such statement, including the risks and
uncertainties discussed in the company’s Safe Harbor Compliance Statement for Forward- Looking Statements included in the company’s recent filings, including Forms 10-K and 10-Q, with the Securities and Exchange Commission. The forward-looking statements speak only as of the date made, and the company undertakes no obligation to update these forward-looking statements.
- FlightSafety appoints Executive Director of Operations
- Blue Hawaiian Helicopters Named ‘Best Tour Company’ in Hawaii
- Bell Awarded $28M Contract for UH-1N and TH-1H Support
- Essex & Herts Air Ambulance to receive £1.5M grant towards £4M hangar
- Aviation Blade Services Joins First Aviation Services Family
- Rusada unveils new Technical Publications module for ENVISION
- US accident data heading for worst year in over a decade
- Derriford Hospital helipad sees 1700 landings in four years
- Geisinger Life Flight Implement WinAir Digital Signatures
- The Air Ambulance Service scoops national charity award
- Leonardo Helicopters picks workwear supplier for Yeovil production plant
- HAI Hires New Director of Government Affairs
- Heli-Parts Nevada acquired by Salus Aviation
- Heli-One appoints New VP H1 Operations
- DRF Luftrettung receives EURAMI certification
- Vertical Flight Society Announces Winner of 2019 Alfred Gessow Best Paper Award
- WJZ-CBS Baltimore Adds Robinson R66 Newscopter
- 1st CAB Commander Makes Final Flight
- Star Navigation Announces MEDEVAC Agreement with Airmedic Inc.
- Airbus makes changes to its Executive Committee