L-3 WESCAM announced today that its MX™-15D designating turret was successfully used during a weapons demonstration on the Bell Boeing V-22
Osprey tiltrotor aircraft. The demonstration effort is part of the Advanced Technology Tiltrotor (ATTR) program. Through a cooperative agreement between Bell Helicopter and L-3 WESCAM, the first time designating trials were recently conducted over a 14-day period in November at the U.S. Army’s Yuma Proving Ground in Arizona.
“Flight trials were conducted to demonstrate the armed capability of the V-22 with precision and non-precision forward-firing weapons,” said Paul Jennison, vice president of government sales and business development for L-3 WESCAM. “The MX-15D was chosen to support the trials because of its field-proven laser designation performance when flown from SOCOM and AFSOC aircraft, both of which also fire precision laser-guided munitions.”
During the trials, the V-22 Osprey successfully launched conventional 70mm (2.75″) rockets, BAE Systems’ Advanced Precision Kill Weapon System (APKWS™) and Raytheon’s Griffin® B lightweight precision-guided missiles.
Another key successful trial of L-3 WESCAM’s MX-15D concluded in March 2013 when the system obtained Bell Helicopter’s qualification as an optional advanced targeting system for the company’s 407GT tactical helicopter.
L‐3’s MX‐15D is a multi‐sensor, multi‐spectral targeting system ideal for military operations,including medium-altitude covert intelligence, urveillance and reconnaissance; armed reconnaissance; CSAR; and target designation missions. The MX‐15D is the only stabilized turret solution that enables customers to incorporate up to five separate digital imaging and four
discrete laser capabilities into their configuration.
L-3 WESCAM is a world leader in the design and manufacture of stabilized, multi-spectralimaging systems. To learn more about L-3 WESCAM, please visit the company’s website at www.wescam.com.
Headquartered in New York City, L-3 employs approximately 48,000 people worldwide and is a prime contractor in aerospace systems and national security solutions. L-3 is also a leading provider of a broad range of communication and electronic systems and products used on military and commercial platforms. The company reported 2013 (revised) sales of $12.6 billion. To learn more about L-3, please visit the company’s website at www.L-3com.com.
Safe Harbor Statement Under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995
Except for historical information contained herein, the matters set forth in this news release are forward-looking statements. Statements that are predictive in nature, that depend upon or refer to events or conditions or that include words such as “expects,” “anticipates,” “intends,” “plans,”
“believes,” “estimates,” “will,” “could” and similar expressions are forward-looking statements. The forward-looking statements set forth above involve a number of risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from any such statement, including the risks and
uncertainties discussed in the company’s Safe Harbor Compliance Statement for Forward- Looking Statements included in the company’s recent filings, including Forms 10-K and 10-Q, with the Securities and Exchange Commission. The forward-looking statements speak only as of the date made, and the company undertakes no obligation to update these forward-looking statements.
- Robinson Introduces a New Flight Training Guide
- Kawasaki Heavy Industries opens H145-BK117 training centre at Gifu
- The Volume of Military and Technical Cooperation Between Russia and Belarus has Exceeded $1 bln
- Reiser to supply first helicopter simulator for Lufthansa Aviation Training
- VNH launches tourism flights with B505
- Oceania Aviation Prepare Right Hand H125/AS350 Cargo Pod
- HAI Releases New Reporting Tool For Rotorcraft Pilots
- European Defence Agency launches Dark Blade 2019 helicopter exercise
- Vertical Flight Society Announces 2019 Board of Directors
- JETNET to unveil new products, features at EBACE
- Veelo Technologies Displays VHA Blade at MRO Americas
- NHV joins HeliOffshore
- Robinson Delivers Two More Cadets
- New radar warning system reliably detects new types of threats
- P&WC announces new President
- BLADE’s New Helicopter Service Expands
- MARPA warns US manufacturers to check new EASA SMS proposals
- Coptersafety appointed new CEO
- Air Methods sets up agreement with Anthem in six states
- Qatar – AH-64E Apache Helicopters with Spare Parts and Related Equipment