AgustaWestland announced today that the Carabineros de Chile has placed an order for an AW139 intermediate twin engine helicopter. The aircraft, which will be delivered in the first quarter of 2015, will be used to support a wide range of missions including public order and safety, crime control, counter terrorism, drug control and border security across the nation, search and rescue and transport. The exceptional performance of the AW139, especially at high altitude and in high temperatures, will enhance the Carabineros’ mission capabilities.
The order marks the entrance of the AW139 into the Chilean helicopter market and an expansion of the Carabineros de Chile’s AgustaWestland helicopter fleet, which includes five AW109 Power light twin helicopters that first entered service in 2008.
Twenty AgustaWestland helicopters, including AW119, AW109 Power, GrandNew and W-3A Sokol models, are now in service in Chile performing various commercial and parapublic missions.
The only new generation helicopter in its weight class, the AW139 sets new standards of performance in its category with a maximum cruise speed of 165 knots (306 km/h) and a maximum range in excess of 570 nm (1060 km) with auxiliary fuel. The aircraft has outstanding one engine inoperative capabilities, even in the hot and high environmental conditions.
The AW139, together with the next generation AW169 and AW189 models, is part of the AgustaWestland Family of new generation helicopters which possess the same high performance flight characteristics and safety features, as well as sharing a common cockpit layout, design philosophy and maintenance concept. This commonality will allow more effective operations for customers operating helicopter fleets across the 4 to 8.5 tonne categories.
The AW139 benefits from a range of modern, constantly enhanced and tailored support and training capabilities, designed to deliver outstanding mission effectiveness and safety standards whatever the mission, leveraging on the expanding network of AgustaWestland service and training centres worldwide.
With orders for over 800 aircraft in more than 60 countries from more than 220 customers and over 700 aircraft already in service, the AW139 is the best-selling intermediate twin engine helicopter in the world.
Many operators have chosen or are already operating the AW139 for homeland security, law enforcement and public utility applications in many nations worldwide including Chile, Brazil, USA, Italy, Japan, The Netherlands, Bulgaria, Oman, UAE, and China. The type has also found significant success for other applications such as offshore transport, EMS/SAR, executive/private and passenger transport, government and military roles.
- Canada – Nipawin Council hires heliport designer
- Armenian Ministry of Emergency Situations to add firefighting helicopter
- Two helipads decommissioned in downtown San Diego
- Metro Aviation welcomes Duke Life Flight
- Leonardo celebrates the tenth anniversary of AW159 Wildcat’s first flight
- VSR700 prototype performs first flight
- EMSA extends Schiebel Camcopter contract in Croatia
- Sikorsky Innovations Announces 9th Entrepreneurial Challenge Awardees
- Bell joins army partnership for youth success program
- Metro Aviation provides flight demos of the EC145e at AMTC 2019
- HAI Names Recipient of Salute to Excellence Humanitarian Service Award
- The Helicopter Company of Saudi Arabia takes delivery of its first AW139
- HAI Announces 2020 Recipient of Salute to Excellence Safety Award
- Safran makes management appointments
- Metro seeks STC for Stryker configurations in EC145
- FAA creates ADS-B privacy opt-out
- Luxaviation Helicopters at FLIBS for first time
- Launch of HeliSpeed Academy
- Hampshire and IOW Air Ambulance Take Flight for 9,000th Mission
- HAI Announces Recipient of 2020 Salute to Excellence Lifetime Achievement Award