On Wednesday, January 28, HAI hosted a gathering of vertical lift industry representatives and government aviation officials to discuss a number of issues critical to the industry. More than 75 people gathered from across the country while more than 165 participated via a live streaming internet feed.
The morning began with an overview of a recent FAA reorganization intended to streamline rotorcraft certification issues, followed by a lively discussion of issues surrounding unmanned aircraft systems (UAS), the impending rule for small UAS under 55 lb., and the lack of knowledge among hobbyists using remotely piloted vehicles about safely operating in the national airspace systems.
Representatives from rotorcraft certification and flight standards ask for — and got — very specific questions from attendees on challenges they are facing in getting mandated ADS-B and helicopter air ambulance safety equipment installed and certified in a timely manner.
After lunch, discussions continued, with an update on regulatory changes as a result of last year’s helicopter safety rule. The presentation continued with an update on the designated pilot examiner program and the FAA’s consistency and standardization initiative.
NTSB Member Earl Weener discussed the Board’s Most Wanted List, which this year includes public helicopter operations safety and general aviation loss of control.
The afternoon concluded with a presentation by the FAA on public helicopter operations and another from the General Aviation Manufacturers Association on lessons learned from a Part 23 fixed-wing certification standards rewrite, as the helicopter industry looks to begin a similar rewrite of Parts 27 and 29.
- Far East air force looking to lease eight utility helicopters
- Hawaii Air Tour Task Force to Address Safety and Noise
- Genesys Adds Integration with PS Engineering
- Helinet announces new president and COO
- 2019 mission statistics of the DRF Group
- Nepal – Summit Helicopters rebrands back to original Fishtail Air name
- Airbus appoints Head of External Communications
- Garmin® unveils the fourth generation GPS/NAV/COMM
- Boeing delivered more new Apaches than 737s in 2019 Q4
- Farewell Message from Matt Zuccaro as he hands over HAI
- Manufacturing of Tiltrotor AW609 wind tunnel model via SLS and Windform
- Sikorsky, Rheinmetall Unveil Plans for German Heavy-Lift CH-53K
- Vertical Flight Society Announces Continued Strong Growth
- Era Group Names Senior Vice President of Business Development
- Schiebel Camcopter S-100 deployed for river pollution crisis in Malaysia
- 25,000 missions for Essex & Herts Air Ambulance
- Bristow used Chapter 11 process to drop Airbus H175 order
- US Navy awards $2.68 Billion contract for APKWS rockets
- THOMMEN delivers first multi function displays for the AW129
- Milestone Aviation Group names CEO