The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has certified a performance increase for Bell 206L helicopters equipped with dual tailboom strakes from BLR Aerospace. It is the first time BLR has certified one of its performance-enhancing products for a light helicopter, according to Vice President of Sales and Marketing Dave Marone.
The new Flight Manual Supplement certifies up to 150 pounds of additional out-of-ground effect hover performance, representing 10 percent or more in useful load, for these aircraft. Performance increases will vary by operator depending on density altitude, and engine thermal dynamic efficiency. Marone said, “Quality engine overhauls often produce performance well above baseline specification. BLR’s certified Flight Manual Supplement combines the performance of the Dual Tailboom Strake System and the additional performance inherent in above-spec engines.”
“We are pleased to provide this increase in certified performance to further enhance the benefits of a proven product that allows operators to do more work with more stability at higher altitudes,” Marone said. “Helping the helicopter community fly more productively and more safely is a priority for BLR.” Marone added that BLR is actively flight testing new technologies designed to the improve performance of Sikorsky S-61, Airbus Helicopters AS350 B3e, and Bell 407 and AH-1 aircraft.
More than 1,700 Bell 206L variants have been delivered in the past 40 years and nearly 100 206 series helicopters have been equipped with Dual Tailboom Strakes.
Dual Tailboom Strakes organize and control aircraft rotorwash, reducing undesired sideways lift on the left side of the tailboom. Strakes reduce the turbulence under the tailboom, which improves stability by reducing tail rotor pedal reversals, by up to 38 percent, and are available for a range of Bell and Agusta Bell aircraft. In all, some 850 helicopters fly with modifications from BLR. The company invites guests to visit the BLR Aerospace Exhibit (2222) throughout Heli-Expo 2015, March 3-5 in Orlando, for more information.
About BLR Aerospace
BLR Aerospace is fully devoted to performance innovation. With products on more than 5,000 helicopters and airplanes worldwide, and endorsed by industry-leading OEMs such as Bell Helicopter and Beechcraft Corporation, we back our superior designs with unsurpassed manufacturing quality.
- Jotov & Son Bulgaria purchased an Entrol H01 FNPT II simulator
- 17-Oct-19 N167AG Bell 206B Marshville, US-North Carolina (1F)
- 18-Mar-19 ZT-ROB Bell 206L3 Beira, Mozambique
- Israel orders seven Leonardo AW119Kx trainers to replace Bell 206s
- 11-Feb-19 PT-HPG Bell 206B Jabaquara, Brazil (2F)
- 04-Feb-19 VH-NXW Bell 206 Marcoola, Australia
- Precision Flight Controls and Ryan Aerospace develops B206 simulator
- Precision Flight Controls releases simulator for B206 and B407GXP
- 07-Nov-17 N93PH Bell 206B Rolling Fork, US-Mississippi
- 08-Nov-17 N275AE Bell 206L3 Union City, US-Tennessee
- FAA approves B206 and B407 sim from Ryan-Precision JV
- 10-Aug-17 7T-WU? Bell 206L Douira, Algeria (4F)
- 10-Jun-17 B-31118 Bell 206B Fengbin, Taiwan (3F)
- 10-Jun-17 VH-ONE Bell 206B Avalon, Australia
- 13-May-17 D-HHFW Bell 206B Hirtshals, Denmark
- 07-May-17 Bell 206 Waterloo, US-Illinois
- 02-May-17 N911GE Bell 206B Fort McCoy, US-Florida
- The Helicopter Museum to dispose of A109 and B206 airframes in Jumble Sale
- KF Aerospace awarded contract to deliver and operate Bell 206 for CFTS
- Bell 206 production finally stops later in 2017