The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has certified a performance increase for Bell 206L helicopters equipped with dual tailboom strakes from BLR Aerospace. It is the first time BLR has certified one of its performance-enhancing products for a light helicopter, according to Vice President of Sales and Marketing Dave Marone.
The new Flight Manual Supplement certifies up to 150 pounds of additional out-of-ground effect hover performance, representing 10 percent or more in useful load, for these aircraft. Performance increases will vary by operator depending on density altitude, and engine thermal dynamic efficiency. Marone said, “Quality engine overhauls often produce performance well above baseline specification. BLR’s certified Flight Manual Supplement combines the performance of the Dual Tailboom Strake System and the additional performance inherent in above-spec engines.”
“We are pleased to provide this increase in certified performance to further enhance the benefits of a proven product that allows operators to do more work with more stability at higher altitudes,” Marone said. “Helping the helicopter community fly more productively and more safely is a priority for BLR.” Marone added that BLR is actively flight testing new technologies designed to the improve performance of Sikorsky S-61, Airbus Helicopters AS350 B3e, and Bell 407 and AH-1 aircraft.
More than 1,700 Bell 206L variants have been delivered in the past 40 years and nearly 100 206 series helicopters have been equipped with Dual Tailboom Strakes.
Dual Tailboom Strakes organize and control aircraft rotorwash, reducing undesired sideways lift on the left side of the tailboom. Strakes reduce the turbulence under the tailboom, which improves stability by reducing tail rotor pedal reversals, by up to 38 percent, and are available for a range of Bell and Agusta Bell aircraft. In all, some 850 helicopters fly with modifications from BLR. The company invites guests to visit the BLR Aerospace Exhibit (2222) throughout Heli-Expo 2015, March 3-5 in Orlando, for more information.
About BLR Aerospace
BLR Aerospace is fully devoted to performance innovation. With products on more than 5,000 helicopters and airplanes worldwide, and endorsed by industry-leading OEMs such as Bell Helicopter and Beechcraft Corporation, we back our superior designs with unsurpassed manufacturing quality.
- Brazil approves Van Horn Bell 206 v2 composite blades
- 08-Nov-20 N123NC Bell 206A Raleigh, US-North Carolina
- Canada approves Van Horn Bell 206 v2 composite blades
- 21-Oct-20 N716VL Bell 206B Jones Inlet, US-New York
- 16-Oct-20 N777CP Bell 206 Lakeland, US-Florida
- 04-Oct-20 N24AE Bell 206 Jackson, US-Mississippi
- 29-Sep-20 N91TA Bell 206B Packwood, US-Washington
- 28-Aug-20 5N-BQW Bell 206B Opebi, Nigeria (3F)
- 24-Aug-20 C-GRCT Bell 206B Porcupine Plain, Canada
- 22-Aug-20 N41SJ Bell 206 Clifton, US-New Jersey
- Van Horn Aviation receives STC/PMA on 206B V2 main blades
- 08-Aug-20 N284S Bell 206 Marathon, US-Texas (3F)
- 07-Aug-20 N55SL Bell 206L4 Windham, US-New Hampshire
- 06-Aug-20 N137HS Bell 206B Paris, US-Illinois
- Helimarte moves away from Bell to concentrate on Airbus
- 28-Jan-20 AF-302 Bell 206 Bulo, Uganda (2F)
- Jotov & Son Bulgaria purchased an Entrol H01 FNPT II simulator
- 17-Oct-19 N167AG Bell 206B Marshville, US-North Carolina (1F)
- 16-Apr-19 N61PH Bell 206B Fountain Hills, US-Arizona (2F)
- 18-Mar-19 ZT-ROB Bell 206L3 Beira, Mozambique