Airbus Helicopters Inc. has delivered a fourth AS350 B2 AStar helicopter equipped for law enforcement missions to the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office (HCSO) in Tampa, Fla. The aircraft replaces an EC120B to give Hillsborough an all-AStar fleet.
The Hillsborough Sheriff’s Aviation Unit performs a wide variety of missions including law enforcement, light firefighting and search & rescue. The AS350 B2 was completed at by Airbus Helicopters Inc. in Grand Prairie, Texas. The ship is equipped with a FLIR 230HD thermal imager, Spectrolab SX-5 searchlight, AeroComputers moving map system, along with NVG cockpit modifications by AeroDynamix. A cargo hook completes the mission equipment on the AS350 B2.
“I am extremely pleased with the quality of the complex law enforcement completion performed in Texas by Airbus Helicopters Inc.,” said Sheriff David Gee, who is also a commercial helicopter pilot. “Our fleet of AStars performs well and has low operating costs, which makes them a great asset for the deputies on the ground at a reasonable cost to the citizens.”
Hillsborough County’s newest AS350 B2 bears the tail number N188FS, which is a tribute to Freddie Solomon. Solomon was a star receiver for the San Francisco 49ers who wore number “88” on his jersey. Later, as an employee of the HCSO, Solomon worked with disadvantaged youth and was known as “coach” by the kids. Solomon died of cancer in 2012. A football with the word “coach” follows the tail number on the newest HCSO aircraft.
“Hillsborough County’s AStar fleet will perform a variety of missions, which shows the flexibility of this helicopter platform for law enforcement,” said Ed Van Winkle, Sales Manager, Airborne Law Enforcement for Airbus Helicopters Inc. “The high quality of the law enforcement completion on this aircraft highlights Airbus Helicopters’ continued leadership in this area.”
Airbus Helicopters’ AS350-series is the helicopter-of-choice for U.S. law enforcement agencies with more than 220 in use across the country. Built and certified by Airbus Helicopters Inc. in Columbus, Miss., this cost-effective helicopter cruises at 133 kts and has a range of up to 360 nautical miles with the power of its 732-shp Turbomeca Arriel 1D1 turboshaft engine.
The Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office AS350 B2 will be on display at Heli-Expo 2015 at the Pall Aerospace Booth #1103.
For more information on the AS350 AStar series of helicopters for law enforcement and other missions, visit Airbus Helicopters at Heli-Expo Booth #2437 in Orlando.
About Airbus Helicopters Inc.
Airbus Helicopters Inc. is the U.S. affiliate of Airbus Helicopters, the largest helicopter manufacturer in the world, and a subsidiary of the Airbus Group. Airbus Helicopters Inc. is a manufacturer, markets, sells and supports the broadest range of civil and parapublic helicopters offered in the U.S. The product line represents the industry’s most cost-effective, technologically-advanced helicopters serving all markets and missions. The company’s headquarters and main facility are in Grand Prairie, Texas with a large manufacturing and production facility in Columbus, Miss.
- SPAES modifies AS350 external mirror mounting
- Four new Airbus H125s for Norwegian operators in one week
- 12-Apr-20 N160CC Airbus H125 Tampa, US-Florida
- FAA approves Garmin GFC600H Helicopter Flight Control System in AS350
- Airbus adds more power and enhanced aerial work capabilities for the H125
- Air Zermatt picks VR technology H125 training solution
- StandardAero and Robertson Announce First Canadian Customer for AS350/EC130 Crash-Resistant Fuel Tank
- Ukraine Border Guards receive first two Airbus H125s
- 26-Dec-19 N985SA Airbus AS350B2 Kauai, US-Hawaii (7F)
- StandardAero and Thales Team on AS350 autopilot
- 09-Dec-19 ZK-HPB Airbus AS350B2 White Island, New Zealand
- AS350 heating and demisting system improvement
- All change at Soloy with STCs sold and now new owners too
- Airbus H125 helicopters enter Austrian Ministry of Interior service
- Canada approves AS350/EC130 Crash-Resistant Fuel Tank
- 23-Sep-19 VT-UTC Airbus H125 Kedarnath, India
- LA County Sheriff buys a AS350 crash-resistant fuel tank
- Oklahoma City Police buy two AS350 crash-resistant fuel tanks
- Oceania Aviation Prepare Right Hand H125/AS350 Cargo Pod
- Trump proposes import duties on Airbus helicopters built in EU