MD Helicopters Inc. (MDHI) announced today a new contract to manufacture and deliver a new helicopter for the Mesa Police Department Aviation Unit. Acquisition of the new MD 530F was approved by the Mesa City Council as an addition to the Department’s existing helicopter fleet of two MD 500E turbine helicopters. The 530F is perfectly suited for operation in the extreme Arizona heat, and will provide enhanced aerial support capabilities for Mesa’s growing aviation unit that already includes three MD 500E helicopters.
The Mesa Police Department’s MD 530F will feature a 650shp Rolls-Royce 250-C30 engine, extended tail boom and longer main-rotor blades, and will be equipped with a complete Garmin suite, including the latest 500H glass cockpit, GTS800 Traffic Avoidance System and GTN 650 to support navigation, communications and safe flight operations. The new aircraft retains the characteristics of speed, agility and maneuverability of all MD 500-series helicopters, and pairs well with the unit’s existing fleet; delivering the added benefits of common tooling, parts and familiar engine OEM.
“We are proud that the Mesa Police Department has selected to expand its airborne law enforcement capabilities with the addition of another MD helicopter; the powerful, dependable MD 530F,” said Lynn Tilton, Chief Executive Officer at MD Helicopters. “It is a great honor that our local police force has chosen to fly in an aircraft built locally. It is a great pleasure to support this great force in its service to our community.”
A natural enhancement to Mesa’s existing fleet of MD 500E helicopters, the MD 530F is the finest high-altitude, hot-day performer in its class, offering the speed and overall versatility required to optimize the Mesa PD’s aerial support of pursuit, surveillance, and search and rescue missions.”
MD Helicopters will deliver the new, custom-configured MD 530F in Spring 2015. Multimedia Assets: Images of the Mesa Police Department’s current fleet of MD 500E helicopters can be found here, at http://www.mdhelicopters.com/v2/gallery_mesa_pd.php.
About MD Helicopters, Inc.
MD Helicopters, Inc. (MDHI), a Lynn Tilton company, is a leading manufacturer of commercial, military, law enforcement and air-rescue helicopters. The MDHI family of rotorcraft is world renowned for its value, versatility and performance. The MD Helicopters family includes the twin-engine MD Explorer, and single engine versions of the MD 600N, MD 520N, MD 500E MD 530F, MD 530G and MD 540A. The innovative NOTAR® system for anti-torque control with no tail rotor is used exclusively by MD Helicopters to provide safer, quieter and confined-area access capability. For more information about MDHI, visit www.mdhelicopters.com.
About the Mesa Police Department Aviation Unit
The Mesa Police Department Aviation Unit is based at Mesa’s Falcon Field Airport. For the past 20 years, Mesa Police helicopters have averaged nearly 8 flight hours per day, seven days per week. Proven to be an invaluable law enforcement tool, the Mesa Police Department Aviation Unit has an average response time to a scene of just 54 seconds, and has been instrumental in the recovery of nearly $18,000,000 in stolen property and in locating over 600 missing persons (most of whom have been lost children).
- Canada – Nipawin Council hires heliport designer
- Armenian Ministry of Emergency Situations to add firefighting helicopter
- Two helipads decommissioned in downtown San Diego
- Metro Aviation welcomes Duke Life Flight
- Leonardo celebrates the tenth anniversary of AW159 Wildcat’s first flight
- VSR700 prototype performs first flight
- EMSA extends Schiebel Camcopter contract in Croatia
- Sikorsky Innovations Announces 9th Entrepreneurial Challenge Awardees
- Bell joins army partnership for youth success program
- Metro Aviation provides flight demos of the EC145e at AMTC 2019
- HAI Names Recipient of Salute to Excellence Humanitarian Service Award
- The Helicopter Company of Saudi Arabia takes delivery of its first AW139
- HAI Announces 2020 Recipient of Salute to Excellence Safety Award
- Safran makes management appointments
- Metro seeks STC for Stryker configurations in EC145
- FAA creates ADS-B privacy opt-out
- Luxaviation Helicopters at FLIBS for first time
- Launch of HeliSpeed Academy
- Hampshire and IOW Air Ambulance Take Flight for 9,000th Mission
- HAI Announces Recipient of 2020 Salute to Excellence Lifetime Achievement Award