MD Helicopters, Inc. (MDHI) announced today a contract with Volusia County Mosquito Control, Volusia County, Florida, to manufacture and deliver a new MD 520N helicopter. The new MD 520N will join the Mosquito Control Unit’s two MD 500E helicopters to expand the department’s ability to inspect and treat the region’s wet and dry lands not serviceable by trucks or other ground methods.
In the mid-1960s, Volusia County Mosquito Control was one of the first mosquito control agencies in the nation to augment the use of fixed-wing aircraft with helicopters to improve both spraying and follow-up site assessment.
“Volusia County has been a valued member of the MD Helicopters family of operators for nearly 25 years. I am extremely proud they have chosen to enhance their mosquito control capabilities with the addition of a new 520N,” said Lynn Tilton, Chief Executive Officer for MD Helicopters, Inc. “The MD-exclusive NOTAR® system makes the 520N a perfect solution for utility missions like this; delivering safer, quieter operations over swampy or overgrown areas as well as in confined or heavily populated spaces. I’m sure the citizens of Volusia County will appreciate the lower noise profile as well!”
The Volusia County MD 520N will feature a 450-shp Rolls-Royce 250-C20R/2 turbine engine, a Garmin G500H EFIS all-glass avionics flight display, Garmin GTN 650H GPS, NVG compatible interior lighting, Super Nightscanner® Retractable Searchlight, a 2,000 lb. cargo hook, auxiliary fuel tank and wire strike protection system among other standard and custom features.
The MD 520N is one of just three helicopters – all manufactured by MD Helicopters, Inc. – that feature the exclusive NOTAR® system for anti-torque and directional control. By replacing conventional tail rotors with the NOTAR system, the margin of safety immediately increases for crew and aircraft, and the noise decreases; making it an exceptional choice for operation in confined and densely populated areas.
MD Helicopters will deliver the new, custom-configured MD 520N in Spring 2015.
About MD Helicopters, Inc.
MD Helicopters, Inc. (MDHI), a Lynn Tilton company, is a leading manufacturer of commercial, military, law enforcement and air-rescue helicopters. The MDHI family of rotorcraft is world renowned for its value, versatility and performance. The MD Helicopters family includes the twin-engine MD Explorer, and single engine versions of the MD 600N, MD 520N, MD 500E, MD 530F, MD 530G and MD 540A. The innovative NOTAR® system for anti-torque control with no tail rotor is used exclusively by MD Helicopters to provide safer, quieter and confined-area access capability. For more information about MDHI, visit www.mdhelicopters.com.
- Bell Unveils New Manufacturing Technology Center
- Helicentre Aviation Extends 2020 Scholarships Deadline
- AIRO Group buys Aspen Avionics
- New Weather Layers in Profile in ForeFlight’s Latest Release
- Final five Mi-8MTV-5-1 delivered to Russian military ahead of schedule
- Helicopter Online Ground School launches two new courses
- HAI launches annual Salute to Excellence Awards
- Belgium cuts military helicopter flying in half
- Prestwick SAR base passes 1,500 taskings milestone
- Great Western Air Ambulance encourages use of What3Words
- Iran unveils new laser-guided missiles for helicopter fleet
- Rostec began flight tests of the newest helicopter for special forces Mi-8AMTSh-VN
- EDA sets up Multinational Helicopter Training Centre for Sintra
- Entrol welcomes HELISEVEN to its client list
- 08-Aug-20 N….. Bell 206 Marathon, US-Texas (3F)
- EASA SIB 2020-13 Provision of ground handling services at aerodromes following COVID-19 outbreak
- Lydd SAR base passes 1,000 taskings milestone
- Boeing Receives $265 Million Chinook Helicopter Order
- Churchill Navigation and Shotover Camera Systems Merge
- USAIG expands safety collaboration with Airbus