MD Helicopters, Inc. (MDHI) announced today a contract with Volusia County Mosquito Control, Volusia County, Florida, to manufacture and deliver a new MD 520N helicopter. The new MD 520N will join the Mosquito Control Unit’s two MD 500E helicopters to expand the department’s ability to inspect and treat the region’s wet and dry lands not serviceable by trucks or other ground methods.
In the mid-1960s, Volusia County Mosquito Control was one of the first mosquito control agencies in the nation to augment the use of fixed-wing aircraft with helicopters to improve both spraying and follow-up site assessment.
“Volusia County has been a valued member of the MD Helicopters family of operators for nearly 25 years. I am extremely proud they have chosen to enhance their mosquito control capabilities with the addition of a new 520N,” said Lynn Tilton, Chief Executive Officer for MD Helicopters, Inc. “The MD-exclusive NOTAR® system makes the 520N a perfect solution for utility missions like this; delivering safer, quieter operations over swampy or overgrown areas as well as in confined or heavily populated spaces. I’m sure the citizens of Volusia County will appreciate the lower noise profile as well!”
The Volusia County MD 520N will feature a 450-shp Rolls-Royce 250-C20R/2 turbine engine, a Garmin G500H EFIS all-glass avionics flight display, Garmin GTN 650H GPS, NVG compatible interior lighting, Super Nightscanner® Retractable Searchlight, a 2,000 lb. cargo hook, auxiliary fuel tank and wire strike protection system among other standard and custom features.
The MD 520N is one of just three helicopters – all manufactured by MD Helicopters, Inc. – that feature the exclusive NOTAR® system for anti-torque and directional control. By replacing conventional tail rotors with the NOTAR system, the margin of safety immediately increases for crew and aircraft, and the noise decreases; making it an exceptional choice for operation in confined and densely populated areas.
MD Helicopters will deliver the new, custom-configured MD 520N in Spring 2015.
About MD Helicopters, Inc.
MD Helicopters, Inc. (MDHI), a Lynn Tilton company, is a leading manufacturer of commercial, military, law enforcement and air-rescue helicopters. The MDHI family of rotorcraft is world renowned for its value, versatility and performance. The MD Helicopters family includes the twin-engine MD Explorer, and single engine versions of the MD 600N, MD 520N, MD 500E, MD 530F, MD 530G and MD 540A. The innovative NOTAR® system for anti-torque control with no tail rotor is used exclusively by MD Helicopters to provide safer, quieter and confined-area access capability. For more information about MDHI, visit www.mdhelicopters.com.
- Volocopter Launches Campaign to Bring Electric Air Taxi Services to U.S. Cities
- STARS Lottery fundraiser remains as critical as ever
- SPAES creates Bo105 digital cockpit based on Garmin 500H
- Russia certifies Guimbal G2 Cabri
- UK – National Grid to add second Bell 429
- First flight of UAVOS – TITRA joint project
- New Leonardo ASW system achieves milestone
- FAA Approves AeroLEDs For Part 27 Rotorcraft AeroLEDs
- Royal Navy opens new helipad facility in Plymouth
- Airbus improves EC145 anti-collision light
- STARS adds fourth and fifth Airbus H145 to fleet
- Airbus Helicopters will NOT be at Heli-Expo 2021
- 16-Jan-21 517 Bell UH-1H Busdi, Philippines (7F)
- Australia – CASA appoints acting CEO
- Nigerian AF partners with Caverton Helicopters for maintenance
- Container Research Corp wins V-22 aux tank contract
- Naval Supply Systems Command addresses V-22 supply concern
- Australia to replace Tiger with AH-64E
- 15-Jan-21 PH-TTR Airbus H135 Almere, Netherlands
- GAO reports on Washington DC area helicopter noise concerns