MD Helicopters, Inc. (MDHI) announced today a contract with Volusia County Mosquito Control, Volusia County, Florida, to manufacture and deliver a new MD 520N helicopter. The new MD 520N will join the Mosquito Control Unit’s two MD 500E helicopters to expand the department’s ability to inspect and treat the region’s wet and dry lands not serviceable by trucks or other ground methods.
In the mid-1960s, Volusia County Mosquito Control was one of the first mosquito control agencies in the nation to augment the use of fixed-wing aircraft with helicopters to improve both spraying and follow-up site assessment.
“Volusia County has been a valued member of the MD Helicopters family of operators for nearly 25 years. I am extremely proud they have chosen to enhance their mosquito control capabilities with the addition of a new 520N,” said Lynn Tilton, Chief Executive Officer for MD Helicopters, Inc. “The MD-exclusive NOTAR® system makes the 520N a perfect solution for utility missions like this; delivering safer, quieter operations over swampy or overgrown areas as well as in confined or heavily populated spaces. I’m sure the citizens of Volusia County will appreciate the lower noise profile as well!”
The Volusia County MD 520N will feature a 450-shp Rolls-Royce 250-C20R/2 turbine engine, a Garmin G500H EFIS all-glass avionics flight display, Garmin GTN 650H GPS, NVG compatible interior lighting, Super Nightscanner® Retractable Searchlight, a 2,000 lb. cargo hook, auxiliary fuel tank and wire strike protection system among other standard and custom features.
The MD 520N is one of just three helicopters – all manufactured by MD Helicopters, Inc. – that feature the exclusive NOTAR® system for anti-torque and directional control. By replacing conventional tail rotors with the NOTAR system, the margin of safety immediately increases for crew and aircraft, and the noise decreases; making it an exceptional choice for operation in confined and densely populated areas.
MD Helicopters will deliver the new, custom-configured MD 520N in Spring 2015.
About MD Helicopters, Inc.
MD Helicopters, Inc. (MDHI), a Lynn Tilton company, is a leading manufacturer of commercial, military, law enforcement and air-rescue helicopters. The MDHI family of rotorcraft is world renowned for its value, versatility and performance. The MD Helicopters family includes the twin-engine MD Explorer, and single engine versions of the MD 600N, MD 520N, MD 500E, MD 530F, MD 530G and MD 540A. The innovative NOTAR® system for anti-torque control with no tail rotor is used exclusively by MD Helicopters to provide safer, quieter and confined-area access capability. For more information about MDHI, visit www.mdhelicopters.com.
- Boost Human External Cargo Systems Exhibiting at HAI Heli-Expo 2020
- eVTOL manufacturer Joby Aviation raises $590 Million
- Helicopter Foundation International changes name
- Bristow Supports Republic of Singapore Air Force, Australia Bushfire Relief Operations
- Genesys Aerosystems Offers New Line of Digital Radios
- Bristow to merge with Era Helicopters
- AirX proposes new tourist flights from Tokyo Heliport
- Elbit Systems Successfully Demonstrates High-Altitude High-Precision Aerial Firefighting Solution
- PS Engineering announces PAC45 with dual control head – PAC45D
- DRF Foundation to fund external air medical R&D projects
- Twirly Birds annual meeting to be held during HAI Heli-Expo 2020
- Airbus displays its customer-centric solutions at Heli-Expo 2020
- HAI Foundation Online Auction Is Now Open
- FAA Administrator to Attend HAI Heli-Expo 2020
- EHA launches European Rotors event to rival Vertical Flight Expo
- StandardAero makes component repair acquisition in Europe
- Far East air force looking to lease eight utility helicopters
- Hawaii Air Tour Task Force to Address Safety and Noise
- Genesys Adds Integration with PS Engineering
- Helinet announces new president and COO