Colonel Patrick MacNamara, commanding officer of 443 Maritime Helicopter Squadron, invested the squadron’s new honorary colonel in a December 8, 2014, ceremony in Patricia Bay, British Columbia. Honorary Colonel Michael Sudul stepped into the position vacated by outgoing Honorary Colonel Jeffrey Morris, who served since 2009. Colonel Lise Bourgon, 12 Wing’s commander, presided over the parade.
“We are proud of the commitment, sacrifice, and resourcefulness of Honorary Colonel Jeffrey Morris,” said Lieutenant-Colonel MacNamara, “and we are proud to invest the squadron’s new honorary colonel, Michael Sudul.”
The position of honorary colonel is bestowed upon distinguished Canadians who foster unit esprit de corps and help build positive relationships within the community. The tradition dates to 1934, when the Royal Canadian Air Force began appointing local dignitaries to act as honorary colonels.
Honorary Colonel Sudul has lived much of his life on Royal Air Force bases in England. In the 1970s, he founded a travel agency in Victoria, British Columbia, and in 2000 became the president of Osler Systems Management Inc., an electronic medical records business. Honorary Colonel Sudul is an avid traveler and pilot with more than 150,000 kilometres of motorcycle riding and 5,300 flying hours under his belt.
Outgoing Honorary Colonel Jeffrey Morris will continue his path in the aviation industry through his non-profit charity, Angel Flight, which offers free air transportation for Vancouver Island, British Columbia, cancer patients requiring medical services at hospitals and centralized care facilities in both Vancouver and Victoria. He hopes to continue the long-lasting friendships he has made at 443 Squadron.
“Honorary Colonel Morris has reached out countless times to the community at large for our squadron,” said Warrant Officer Jay Krzywonos, from Airborne Electronic Sensor Operations Readiness. “Honorary Colonel Morris has always made himself available to promote unit camaraderie.”
During the investiture ceremony, Honorary Colonel Michael Sudul accepted the responsibilities held by outgoing Honorary Colonel Jeffrey Morris. Traditionally, the squadron’s honorary colonel supports activities such as Family Day and serves as Santa at the children’s Christmas party, and often simply lends an ear or tells a good story.
- Russian Helicopters plans on ditching western-built engines
- New Wheeler Army Airfield Airspace Design
- EFW Awarded $18M Contract for Procurement of 13 V-22 Processors
- Sikorsky Awarded $23M Contract for UH-60 Overhaul
- Airbus awarded Australia’s ARH Tiger support contract extension
- VIH Aerospace Achieves AS9100D Certification
- Heli-One and Caverton Sign Support Agreement
- FlightSafety integrates its Mixed Reality and VITAL 1100 Visual Systems
- H135 final assembly line starts operations
- P&WC adds Designated Maintenance Facility in China for AW139 operators
- AVX Aircraft and L3 Technologies Unveil Leap-Ahead Design
- 360-Degree Pilot Visual System Completes First Flight
- MD Helicopters enhances MD969
- Pilot shortage at Nassau County Police unit
- Air Methods closes Rainbow City base in Alabama
- Honeywell T55 Engine Powers New Future Vertical Lift Aircraft
- DRF makes successful start at new Bautzen base
- Universal Avionics Receives STC for InSight™ Touchscreen Control
- US State Dept sells little-used S61T fleet
- DRF Luftrettung buys Northern HeliCopter GmbH