On Sunday (29th March ) as part of the Whirly Birds event, pilot Jerry Grayson will visit The Helicopter Museum to see the Westland Whirlwind and Wessex helicopters he flew in the Fleet Air Arm and to sign copies of his new biography ” Rescue Pilot”.
Jerry Grayson became the youngest helicopter pilot to ever serve in the Royal Navy at the age of 17. He was one of the last pilots to train on the Westland Whirlwind, as they were soon replaced by the Aerospatiale Gazelle helicopter. By the age of 25 he was the most decorated peacetime naval pilot in history.
Jerry served in the Royal Navy’s Fleet Air Arm for eight years, during which he was presented with the Air Force Cross by the Queen for outstanding gallantry in search and rescue.
His illustrious career has included saving a wounded fighter pilot who ditched in the sea, rescuing desperate sailors from a sinking ship during the Fastnet Yacht Race of 1979, in which 25 yachts were lost, and picking up a grievously ill crewman from the deck of a nuclear-armed submarine that was playing a cat-and-mouse game with the Soviet Navy. As a search and rescue pilot, his work was vital and dangerous. Jerry went on to become a well known movie industry helicopter pilot ,filming TV series “Treasure Hunt”‘ with Anneka Rice and films such as ‘Black Hawk Down ‘ and James Bond’s ” A View To Kill”.
Jerry Grayson will be signing copies of his book at the museum between 10am and 1pm
Rescue Pilot – Cheating the Sea. Rescue Pilot is published by Bloomsbury Publishing.
The Helicopter Museum houses the Worlds Largest Collection Of Helicopters and is a Registered Charity (Number 281053)
- Sikorsky Awarded $15M Contract for UH-60M Maintenance
- Japan National Police places order with Bell
- EASA certifies Safran Arrano 1A engine
- Airbus signs MoU with Pawan Hans for H145 and H225, plus AS365 support
- Blue Hawaiian Helicopters Appoints President & General Manager
- Leonardo working with Suzuyo on first AW139 Level D Full Flight Simulator in Japan
- Duke Energy picks GPMS Foresight HUMS
- Italian National Fire Corps orders five more AW139s
- Safran unveils Add+ engine technological demonstrator
- FAA approves Astronautics EFI on Leonardo AW109 and AW119
- UK Government praises Air Ambulance charities
- AeroVironment buys VTOL UAS Developer Pulse Aerospace
- Airbus Helicopters supports modernisation of training centre in Ukraine
- French Air Force reinforce its fleet of H225Ms
- First ground run of Tech TP turboprop demonstrator by Safra
- Donaldson celebrates international sales growth
- Russian Helicopters demonstrates Ansat’s satellite communication system
- Rostec to show Ansat at Paris Air Show 2019
- SH09 third prototype flies higher and faster in Sicily
- Experts spell out actions for safety excellence