Terma North America (Terma) will supply a radar system in coordination with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to test Obstruction Lighting Control (OLC) technology at a large wind farm in Tehachapi, CA.
The radar monitors the airspace around the wind turbines and ensures that the obstruction lights are activated only when an aircraft is within a defined distance from the turbines.
“Normally, the obstruction lights are enabled around the clock for safety”, says Matt Erpelding, Director of Business Development for Terma’s Command, Control, and Sensors business unit.
“Terma’s solution will allow the aviation obstruction lights to remain off for aesthetic reasons, and then ensure the lights are switched on only when an airplane is in the vicinity, thus preserving aviation safety as well”, says Erpelding.
Logistics have been finalized for the delivery, setup, and pre-testing of a Terma SCANTER 5202 solid state, X-band radar optimized for air surveillance. Final/formal FAA testing and demonstration will take place on 14-16 April.
The FAA’s Airport Safety Research and Development Branch, located at the William J Hughes Technical Center in Atlantic City, NJ, expects to issue in the near future an FAA advisory allowing wind farm developers to install OLC solutions in the U.S.
“This testing positions us as a lead player in the emerging OLC field and serves as the highlight of our Thought Leadership Theatre presentation at the AWEA Windpower Conference in Orlando in May”, says Erpelding.
Terma is an international supplier of radar systems for coastal, airport surface movement, vessel traffic, and naval surveillance as well as monitoring of wind farms. More than 2,000 systems have been delivered to customers worldwide. Terma is in close dialog with the authorities of several countries concerning OLC solutions for wind farms.
- Heli Hero names added to new helicopter
- Q1 production analysis – Airbus rises while every other OEM falls
- Nigerian Navy receives AW139 helicopter
- Penn College aviation students receive industry scholarships
- EHang wins approval for autonomous air logistics operations
- Genesys flight testing their avionics suite on Black Hawks
- Pulselite® Bird Strike Prevention System STC Expanded to Include Bell 429 and Bell 505
- EBAA to provide members with live aviation security alerts from Osprey
- COVID-19 – AW139 supporting COVID-19 operations in Canada
- Babcock Selects Bell 429 for Australian Special Forces bid
- UKMFTS program adds first of four additional Airbus H145s
- ACC Aviation Partners with AeroMedical
- Wings Air Helicopters offers free flights for healthcare professionals
- Wingcopter is one of 9 winners of German Government’s €24M hackathon
- Leonardo AW159 Wildcat conducts first successful firings of Thales ‘Martlet’ LMM
- Swiss training solution company VRM completes second funding round
- Christoph 49 celebrates 20 years of takeover by the DRF Luftrettung
- Intrinsic Aviation announces JV with Arena Investors
- COVID19 – CHC cancels 2020 Safety & Quality Summit
- COVID19 – Scottish island to receive pandemic test kits by drone