Dare MedFlight, a rapid medical transportation provider, recently completed a performance comparison between Eastman Turbo Oil 2197 and their current high thermal stability (HTS) oil. The purpose of the testing was to track the performance of the two HTS oils, specifically carbon or coke buildup in the engine vent tube.
The oil testing was carried out on the BK-117 helicopter powered by two LTS101 engines, which Dare MedFlight operates out of Dare County, North Carolina. Dare MedFlight was previously using a competitor’s HTS product that required cleaning the vent tubes of the engine mechanically after every 15–20 hours of operation.
To track the performance results, Dare MedFlight introduced Eastman Turbo Oil 2197 into one of the engines and retained the current HTS oil in the other. Dare MedFlight ran both oils side by side, tracked the consumption amounts, recorded when the engines were cleaned, tracked the coke buildup in the vent tubes for each engine, and took a photo when conditions allowed.
Howard Wilson, director of maintenance, Dare MedFlight, was in charge of overseeing the comparison and tracking the results. Wilson stated, “We definitely saw a difference in comparing the two products. While both engines ran well without major issues, there was a noticeable difference in the amount of coke buildup in the vent tubes of the two engines. Eastman Turbo Oil 2197 produced less coke buildup.” “After performing this comparison and seeing the difference between the two products for myself, I requested that our new helicopter be delivered with Eastman Turbo Oil 2197 already in both engines,” Wilson concluded.
“There is past data in the industry that tracks the benefits of HTS oil versus standard oil, but not many side-by-side comparisons such as this,” said Nicholas Cleary, global technical services, Eastman Aviation Solutions.
“We have found that the move to HTS oils has been driven mostly by the OEMs, who in several cases make a recommendation of a specific product. While there are other products on the approval list, such as Eastman Turbo Oil 2197, when an operator receives a recommendation, they tend to stick with it.
“Therefore our main goal for this comparison was to educate the operator that there is more than one choice for their HTS oil needs and let them discover for themselves that when compared side by side, Eastman Turbo Oil 2197 is a high quality product that can offer some increased performance capabilities over the competition. Making the switch is easy, and we offer full support to any operator who is considering making a change,” concluded Cleary.
About Eastman Aviation Solutions
Eastman Aviation Solutions, a dedicated team within Eastman Chemical Company, is an aviation fluids supplier that focuses on providing industry-leading products, technical resources, dedicated support, and improved service to the commercial and regional airline, corporate aviation, and helicopter industries. As a leading turbine oil and hydraulic fluid provider, Eastman Aviation Solutions combines its industry-recognized brands, Skydrol™ aviation hydraulic fluids and SkyKleen™ aviation solvent with Eastman Turbo Oils (formally BP Turbo Oils), merging over a century of experience in aviation fluids and offering them to customers under one unique brand. Eastman delivers innovative products and solutions while maintaining a commitment of safety and sustainability to their global customer base. Serving approximately 100 countries, Eastman Aviation Solutions products are available throughout the world via approved distributors and direct sale opportunities. To learn more visit www.EastmanAviationSolutions.com.
- Canada – Nipawin Council hires heliport designer
- Armenian Ministry of Emergency Situations to add firefighting helicopter
- Two helipads decommissioned in downtown San Diego
- Metro Aviation welcomes Duke Life Flight
- Leonardo celebrates the tenth anniversary of AW159 Wildcat’s first flight
- VSR700 prototype performs first flight
- EMSA extends Schiebel Camcopter contract in Croatia
- Sikorsky Innovations Announces 9th Entrepreneurial Challenge Awardees
- Bell joins army partnership for youth success program
- Metro Aviation provides flight demos of the EC145e at AMTC 2019
- HAI Names Recipient of Salute to Excellence Humanitarian Service Award
- The Helicopter Company of Saudi Arabia takes delivery of its first AW139
- HAI Announces 2020 Recipient of Salute to Excellence Safety Award
- Safran makes management appointments
- Metro seeks STC for Stryker configurations in EC145
- FAA creates ADS-B privacy opt-out
- Luxaviation Helicopters at FLIBS for first time
- Launch of HeliSpeed Academy
- Hampshire and IOW Air Ambulance Take Flight for 9,000th Mission
- HAI Announces Recipient of 2020 Salute to Excellence Lifetime Achievement Award