HAI’s Harold Summers, director of flight operations and technical services, was in Chicago last week to help celebrate the opening of Chicago’s only downtown heliport — Vertiport Chicago.
“Urban heliports have been under tremendous pressure in recent years, despite the business and transportation benefits they provide,” said Summers. “So the opening of heliports like this one or the new DeSoto Heliport just outside Dallas that opened last August are reason to celebrate.”
HAI member Helimotion has been selected as the preferred provider for VIP charter services at the new facility.
Vertiport Chicago is a private, prior-permission-required landing facility located approximately 10 minutes from downtown Chicago, according to the facility’s managers. It is located approximately halfway between O’Hare and Midway airports, and outside of the surface-level airspace of each. So in good weather, pilots should be able to fly in under visual flight rules without talking to air traffic controllers — as long as they remain below 1,900’ MSL. On arrival, they’ll find a single landing pad with eight adjacent parking spots.
- Russian Helicopters plans on ditching western-built engines
- New Wheeler Army Airfield Airspace Design
- EFW Awarded $18M Contract for Procurement of 13 V-22 Processors
- Sikorsky Awarded $23M Contract for UH-60 Overhaul
- Airbus awarded Australia’s ARH Tiger support contract extension
- VIH Aerospace Achieves AS9100D Certification
- Heli-One and Caverton Sign Support Agreement
- FlightSafety integrates its Mixed Reality and VITAL 1100 Visual Systems
- H135 final assembly line starts operations
- P&WC adds Designated Maintenance Facility in China for AW139 operators
- AVX Aircraft and L3 Technologies Unveil Leap-Ahead Design
- 360-Degree Pilot Visual System Completes First Flight
- MD Helicopters enhances MD969
- Pilot shortage at Nassau County Police unit
- Air Methods closes Rainbow City base in Alabama
- Honeywell T55 Engine Powers New Future Vertical Lift Aircraft
- DRF makes successful start at new Bautzen base
- Universal Avionics Receives STC for InSight™ Touchscreen Control
- US State Dept sells little-used S61T fleet
- DRF Luftrettung buys Northern HeliCopter GmbH