HAI’s Harold Summers, director of flight operations and technical services, was in Chicago last week to help celebrate the opening of Chicago’s only downtown heliport — Vertiport Chicago.
“Urban heliports have been under tremendous pressure in recent years, despite the business and transportation benefits they provide,” said Summers. “So the opening of heliports like this one or the new DeSoto Heliport just outside Dallas that opened last August are reason to celebrate.”
HAI member Helimotion has been selected as the preferred provider for VIP charter services at the new facility.
Vertiport Chicago is a private, prior-permission-required landing facility located approximately 10 minutes from downtown Chicago, according to the facility’s managers. It is located approximately halfway between O’Hare and Midway airports, and outside of the surface-level airspace of each. So in good weather, pilots should be able to fly in under visual flight rules without talking to air traffic controllers — as long as they remain below 1,900’ MSL. On arrival, they’ll find a single landing pad with eight adjacent parking spots.
- Canada – Nipawin Council hires heliport designer
- Armenian Ministry of Emergency Situations to add firefighting helicopter
- Two helipads decommissioned in downtown San Diego
- Metro Aviation welcomes Duke Life Flight
- Leonardo celebrates the tenth anniversary of AW159 Wildcat’s first flight
- VSR700 prototype performs first flight
- EMSA extends Schiebel Camcopter contract in Croatia
- Sikorsky Innovations Announces 9th Entrepreneurial Challenge Awardees
- Bell joins army partnership for youth success program
- Metro Aviation provides flight demos of the EC145e at AMTC 2019
- HAI Names Recipient of Salute to Excellence Humanitarian Service Award
- The Helicopter Company of Saudi Arabia takes delivery of its first AW139
- HAI Announces 2020 Recipient of Salute to Excellence Safety Award
- Safran makes management appointments
- Metro seeks STC for Stryker configurations in EC145
- FAA creates ADS-B privacy opt-out
- Luxaviation Helicopters at FLIBS for first time
- Launch of HeliSpeed Academy
- Hampshire and IOW Air Ambulance Take Flight for 9,000th Mission
- HAI Announces Recipient of 2020 Salute to Excellence Lifetime Achievement Award