MD Helicopters, Inc. (MDHI) announced today an agreement with the Columbus Division of Police, Columbus, Ohio, to upgrade four of the Aviation Unit’s six MD 500E helicopters to new MD 530Fs. Available exclusively through the MD Helicopters factory, the E-to-F conversion allows MD 500E operators the option to factory-recertify their aircraft as a brand new MD 530F.
“Over the period of just a several weeks we can completely upgrade existing E-models through a series of inspections, modifications and upgrades,” said Nick Nenadovic, Vice President Aftermarket and Customer Support for MD Helicopters, Inc. “In the end, the customer has a new, factory-built, FAA-certified F-model at a fraction of the cost of a new aircraft acquisition.”
The primary enhancements in the E-to-F conversion process are an engine upgrade from the Rolls Royce 250-C20B to the more powerful RR250-C30, replacement of the blades and stabilizers, and the addition of a Fargo Auxiliary Fuel Tank. These elements increase the hot-and-high performance capability of the aircraft as well as improve the operational range and flight time. As each conversion is complete, the original aircraft will receive a new, FAA-approved type certification of 369FF.
“Since its inception in 1972, the Columbus Police Department Helicopter Unit has flown nearly 230,000 flight hours – 16 hours a day, 7 days a week – with more than 95,000 of those hours in our MD 500Es,” said Lieutenant Greg Estep who oversees the helicopter unit. “As one of the largest municipal law enforcement aviation units in the United States, we are confident the conversion of our E models to F models will allow us to continue to expertly perform our missions without compromise. We are excited to be able to continue delivering direct support for ground patrol officers and serving the citizens of Columbus with these exceptional aircraft.”
About MD Helicopters, Inc.
MD Helicopters, Inc. (MDHI), a Lynn Tilton company, is a leading manufacturer of commercial, military, law enforcement and air-rescue helicopters. The MDHI family of rotorcraft is world renowned for its value, versatility and performance. The MD Helicopters family includes the twin-engine MD Explorer, and single engine versions of the MD 600N, MD 520N, MD 500E, MD 530F, MD 530G and MD 540A. The innovative NOTAR® system for anti-torque control with no tail rotor is used exclusively by MD Helicopters to provide safer, quieter and confined-area access capability. For more information about MDHI, visit www.mdhelicopters.com.
- 22-Jan-21 N90TG MD Helicopters MD500E Queen Creek, US-Arizona
- 20-Jan-21 YV200T MD Helicopters MD500E Guanare, Venezuela (4F)
- MD Helicopters completes another MD500E conversion to MD530F
- Wilson Construction upgrades MD500E to MD530F standard
- MD offers Glass Cockpit Solutions for MD500E and MD520N
- 21-Feb-19 N506PH MD Helicopters MD500E Waipio, US-Hawaii
- Hamilton County Sheriff to upgrade MD500E to 530F standard
- Columbus Police to Upgrade 2 additional MD 500E Helicopters
- Minnesota Dept of Natural Resources takes delivery of new MD500E
- Fresno Sheriff orders MD530F as MD500E replacement
- Fresno County Sheriff to replace one 500E with a new aircraft
- New MD500E for Minnesota Dept of Natural Resources
- R66 production numbers speed past the H120 total
- Gwinnett County Police receive first 530F upgrade
- 27-Sep-15 SP-SOO MD Helicopters MD500E Burkatów, Poland
- MDHI Completes E-to-F conversions for Columbus Police
- Bushveld Game Capture buy second MD500E
- 03-Sep-15 N16056 MD Helicopters MD500E New Smyrna Beach, US-Florida
- 05-Aug-15 N43792 MD Helicopters 500E Whitefish, US-Montana
- MD Helicopters to showcase Houston Police MD500E at ALEA 2015