Airbus Helicopters and Patria, the company responsible for the local assembly of the NH90, marked the important milestone of the delivery of the 20th and last serial NH90 during a ceremony with the customer at Patria’s facility in Halli, Finland.
“These helicopters are used for various tasks of the Finnish Defense Forces such as national defense, international crisis management and for SAR missions” said Jussi Ristimäki, FDF Program Manager for the NH90.
The very first flight of a Finnish NH90 took place in the Airbus Helicopters facility in Marignane in 2004 and the Finnish customer took delivery of the first NH90 in 2008. The remaining 19 helicopters were assembled by Patria in Finland. The contract was signed in 2001 for an order of 20 NH90 in TTH version for the Finnish Armed Forces and they have reached more than 7, 500 flight hours since delivery.
“The delivery of this last serial helicopter is a significant milestone for the Finnish NH90 Program, and now moving forward we will concentrate on the retrofit program, which is already in progress,” said Ernst Heckert, NHI and Airbus Helicopters Program Manager for the Finnish NH90.
The NH90 is well suited for the severe metrological conditions in Northern Europe. Flying through the clouds causes ice to form, making the NH90’s deicing system indispensable for the Finnish winter. In addition, whiteout conditions are a common occurance during helicopter missions in this cold climate, and clouds, fog, and snow can severely obstruct visibility. The NH90’s state-of-the art 4-axis autopilot and the fly-by-wire controls contribute to safety and maximum flight performance in such severe operating conditions. The NH90 is the first serial helicopter in the world to be equipped with Fly-By-Wire technologies, significantly reducing pilot workload and allowing for this state-of-the-art helicopter to be piloted with ease.
The twin-engine, medium-size NH90 helicopter program is managed by the consortium NHIndustries, the Company owned by AgustaWestland (32%), Airbus Helicopters (62.5%), and Fokker (5.5%).
About Airbus Helicopters (www.airbushelicopters.com)
Airbus Helicopters is a division of Airbus Group. The company provides the most efficient civil and military helicopter solutions to its customers who serve, protect, save lives and safely carry passengers in highly demanding environments. Flying more than 3 million flight hours per year, the company’s in-service fleet includes some 12,000 helicopters operated by more than 3,000 customers in 152 countries. Airbus Helicopters employs more than 23,000 people worldwide and in 2014 generated revenues of 6.5 billion Euros.
- Airwolf Aerospace and True Blue Power Announce New Lithium-ion Main Ship Battery STCs
- Telephonics flight tests MOSAIC AESA Radar System on MH-60S
- Bucher presents its newest multi-mission HEMS at Heli-Expo 2020
- Astronautics Readies Its Airborne Communication System for Various Airbus Platforms
- Astronautics RoadRunner EFI Brings Enhanced Capability to Santa Barbara Firehawk
- Astronautics Nears FAA Approval on STC for RoadRunner EFI on Bell 212 and 412
- Canada approves Astronics Enhanced Vision Systems on Bell 407
- Cobham Launches Titan Digital Audio Management Series
- Luma Technologies offers Goggle Ready LED Solutions for UH-60 / S-70 Operators
- Air Methods to supply two EC145s to Houston Healthcare
- Kenyan Air Force receives first six MD530Fs
- VFS Leads eVTOL Efforts at HAI Heli-Expo 2020
- Kopter’s SH09 flies with a new main rotor configuration
- Air Methods lowers costs to patients
- MINT Turbines Announces Launch of Redesigned Website
- 26-Jan-20 N72EX Sikorsky S76B Calabasas, US-California (9F)
- Boost Human External Cargo Systems Exhibiting at HAI Heli-Expo 2020
- eVTOL manufacturer Joby Aviation raises $590 Million
- Helicopter Foundation International changes name
- Bristow Supports Republic of Singapore Air Force, Australia Bushfire Relief Operations