GKN Aerospace congratulates Bell Helicopter, a Textron Inc. (NYSE: TXT) company, on the recent successful first flight of the Bell 525 Relentless. This is a key milestone in the test program to achieve FAA certification. The Bell 525 brings cutting edge capability to the new super-medium class by combining best-in-class performance characteristics and passenger amenities, with fly-by-wire flight controls, a touch screen avionics suite and Bell Helicopter’s new tailboom technology.
GKN Aerospace is contracted to provide Bell Helicopter with key metal and composite structures across the new Bell 525 helicopter fuselage. This major work package includes composite and aluminium fuselage panels and structural parts installed in the cockpit, cabin and tail boom.
GKN Aerospace also provides development and supply of state-of-the-art fuel tanks for the Bell 525. The tanks are manufactured using a newly developed fuel cell material that allows the tanks to weigh less than comparable in-service tanks while also meeting the rigorous performance requirements for Technical Standing Order (TSO C80) and Federal Aviation Regulations (FAR27/29).
Kevin Cummings, CEO – GKN Aerospace, commented: “In the Bell 525 Relentless, Bell Helicopter has created a remarkable helicopter that offers the market truly exceptional levels of performance. We are extremely proud to have contributed to the development of this first ‘Super Medium’ class helicopter and we warmly congratulate Bell Helicopter on achieving this important program milestone.”
GKN Aerospace is the major independent supplier of aero-structures and a world technology leader, pioneering new production techniques that are improving the quality and consistency of manufacture at greatly increased production rates.
The Bell 525 is the world’s first fly-by-wire commercial helicopter, designed to operate safely and reliably in austere environments with decreased pilot workload. The aircraft integrates critical systems data to be easily accessible at-a-glance with the first fully-integrated touch screen flight deck designed for helicopters, the Garmin G5000H™. Best-in-class payload, cabin, cargo volumes, comfort and egress complement the technological advancements on the aircraft.
- Bell Boeing awarded $12M contract to modify the V-22 of Japan
- Thames Valley Air Ambulance buy new helmets
- Bell Boeing awarded $188M contract for logistics and engineering support for the V-22 platform
- Mornington Sanford Aviation adds EASA Part 147 approval for Robinson maintenance training
- Savback Helicopters opens in the UK
- CNC deploys new mission suite for Texas DPS Airbus H125
- Philippine National Police to deploy two H125s in Davao Region
- Garmin adds new eLearning courses for G1000H NXi integrated flight deck
- Air Methods settles claim over severely corroded parts
- EHang completes Korean demo tour
- Tangent Link Announces Presentations for Aerial Firefighting Europe
- Rheinland Air Service Appointed as the First German Dealer for the Bell 505
- CAE to acquire TRU Simulation + Training Canada Inc
- Penzance Helicopters cancels schedules for over three months
- Bell appoints first 505 dealer in Germany
- State-of-the-art technology sets new standards in helicopter pilot training
- JETNET Demos Customized Solutions at VBACE
- Philippine National Police receive more Airbus H125s
- Safety Protocols at HAI Heli-Expo 2021
- MD to take MD530F on Southern California demo tour next week