Erickson Incorporated (NASDAQ:EAC), a leading global provider of aviation services, is pleased to announce newly designed and certified enhancements for the S-64 Aircrane to improve situational awareness for aircraft pilots. As part of a continuous improvement initiative, the company has installed and certified FAA mandated Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B) OUT (transmit) systems, which are ADS-B IN (receive) systems combined with state of the art GPS units with Helicopter Terrain and Awareness System (HTAWS). The HTAWS system provides flight crews with real time visual and audible information for terrain and obstacles in and around the helicopter flight plan.
Erickson performed all system design, integration, testing and certification for the advanced avionics, and has selected Garmin Limited to supply the hardware for the new systems. The modification is FAA approved and certified to today’s regulatory requirements, but will also be compliant with the new mandated FAA requirements that will be required by December 31st, 2019. Erickson has released the first modified machine to service following successful flight testing.
Since the company acquired the Type Certificate for the S-64 Aircrane in 1992, Erickson has been the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) for the aircraft, and has continuously improved the helicopter’s reliability, safety, operating costs, supply chain and overall capabilities. This new, state of the art design, test and certification of the ADS-B OUT system can be applied to any platform, and when combined with the company’s manufacturing capabilities, clearly identifies Erickson as a “one stop shop” for ADS-B, HTAWS and other avionics upgrades and system enhancements.
Erickson Vice President of Manufacturing and MRO, Kerry Jarandson said of the project, “We continue to invest in product enhancing features, such as the ADS-B, to leverage our manufacturing and MRO capabilities. Industry leading product innovation is in our DNA, and we continue to deploy new ideas for our fleet as well as the global customer base we support.”
Erickson is a leading global provider of aviation services and operates, maintains and manufactures utility aircraft to safely transport and place people and cargo around the world. The Company is self-reliant, multifaceted and operates in remote locations under challenging conditions specializing in Government Services, Manufacturing and MRO, and Commercial Services (comprised of firefighting, HVAC, power line, construction, timber harvesting, oil and gas and specialty lift). With roots dating back to 1960, Erickson operates a fleet of approximately 80 aircraft, is headquartered in Portland, Oregon, USA, and operates in North America, South America, Europe, the Middle East, Africa, Asia Pacific, and Australia. For more information, please visit our new website at www.ericksonaviation.com.
- GAMA working with EASA on eVTOL futures
- Era Group appoints SVP, General Counsel and Chief Admin Officer
- Klimov presents new engine at Airshow China 2018
- Flight Safety Foundation announces new CEO
- Canadian Coast Guard announces new facility in New Brunswick
- CPI Aero names ex Bell CEO as their new Chairman
- JETcopter finalizes 7-seat flying car design
- Russian Helicopters presents in Cambodia
- Sikorsky donates to Patient AirLift Services
- Which US Helicopter Industries Have the Best and the Worst Accident Records?
- Edmonton Police contracts for Safran engine program
- IAR and Airbus Sign H215M Definitive Collaborative Agreement
- New Boeing AH-64E Block 2 Compound
- New Russian High-Speed Helicopter
- H145 Warranty engine extension
- Russian Helicopters sign contract for the supply of 20 Ansats to China
- Joint Venture launches H145 simulator in Norway
- Rockwell Collins awarded five-year US Army contract
- HAI names Director of Safety
- Telephonics AN/ZPY-4 will be used on the MQ-8B Fire Scout