Selex ES has received an order from prime contractor Finmeccanica – AgustaWestland to provide a suite of electronic warfare equipment for eight Lynx Mk21A aircraft used by the Brazilian Navy. The company will provide its SAGE electronic support measure (ESM) along with the company’s defensive aid suite (DAS) controller and a third-party countermeasure dispensing system.
SAGE is an electronic warfare system for RF intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance missions. In this installation, SAGE will provide a wideband radar warning capability that is primarily aimed at platform protection; the DAS controller will use this to cue countermeasures. In addition, SAGE will provide a narrowband fine angle of arrival and geolocation capability that is primarily used for surveillance/intelligence purposes. For the Lynx Mk21A, combining SAGE with the Selex ES DAS controller and a countermeasures system effectively provides a flexible and extremely affordable defensive capability for the helicopters.
SAGE has previously been provided to the Republic of Korea for the country’s Maritime Operational Helicopter (MOH) programme and Indonesia for the Air Force CN-235 maritime patrol aircraft. It is also in use with the UK MoD. Interest in the SAGE system is high due to the increased recognition that in future conflicts, forces may have to face advanced radar-based threats employed by more advanced militaries. Due to Selex ES’s heritage and experience in electronic warfare and its large product portfolio, the company is Europe’s leader in the field and is poised to meet this demand.
As with all Selex ES electronic warfare equipment, the system will come packaged with electronic warfare operational support (EWOS) tools for mission data programming and replay. This will allow the Brazilian Navy to get the most out of SAGE, including having the ability to independently update the system to recognise new threats as they arrive in theatre.
- Pulselite installed across Bell Training Academy fleet
- JetNet for Salesforce to be demonstrated at NBAA conference
- Spidertracks announce Blue Hawaiian Helicopters as official launch customer of Spider X
- Blade makes Nino Negri Wine an Official 2020 Partner
- Nova Systems wins Norwegian NH90 contract
- Japan Airlines completes successful UAV cargo trial
- Can aviation ever be truly green?
- HAI Sadly Announces the Passing of Matthew Zuccaro
- Executive Vice-President Finance appointed at Airbus Helicopters
- Bristow to trial Unmanned systems to help with SAR
- NAVSUP WSS signs $2.3 billion H-60 Seahawk PBL Renewal Contract
- Safran opens new CAP 2020 industrial campus in Tarnos
- New Leonardo facility in São Paulo
- Airbus maintains global market leader position in 2019
- Introducing Leonardo&Codemar S.A., a new joint venture
- WAI Board Aappoints new CEO
- Kopter receives Production Organization Approval from FOCA
- Penzance Helicopters to launch with AW109 GrandNew due to Coronavirus
- Airbus improves H175 damper & pitch rod maintenance
- Sikorsky receives second contract for six Presidential S92s