RAF Boulmer, a long-established SAR base in the north-east of the UK, has closed that role as the SAR responsibility for the UK is gradually handed over to Bristow Helicopters. As part of the phased plan to retire Royal Navy and Royal Air Force helicopters, 202 Squadron retired its two yellow Sea Kings with a farewell flight south through the UK on 30th September, ending at HMS Sultan, the Navy base.
Established there in 1978, the last SAR operational flight for the “A” Flight of 202 Squadron was on Tuesday 29th, taking a 65-year-old woman who had fallen at Moffat to hospital in Edinburgh.
The ferry flight on Wednesday 30th saw Rescue 132 depart Boulmer around 9.45am, followed by Rescue 131 at 11.00am. Winchman Ben Jacobs recorded the route for everyone to see on Twitter which included a low flypast at Humberside Airport – where Bristow now have two Sikorsky S92s operational under the new contract – before a fuel stop at RAF Marham. Flypasts at Lakenheath and Mildenhall followed, then Duxford and a sightseeing tour of central London before reaching its final resting place at HMS Sultan, on the west side of Portsmouth Harbour.
The two helicopters involved were XZ586 (Rescue 131) and XZ590 (Rescue 132).
Jeremy Parkin – HeliHub.com
- 20-Apr-20 N908CH Sikorsky S61 Camp Dwyer, Afghanistan
- Sikorsky and United Aero Group sign S61 support agreement
- Far East air force looking to lease eight utility helicopters
- Malaysia celebrates 50 years service of S-61 fleet
- RMAF welcomes upgraded Nuri helicopter
- Royal Malaysian Air Force S-61 Fleet to Receive Universal Avionics Flight Deck Upgrade
- A Presidential Restoration
- AEM MCP02 Master Caution Panel approved by Transport Canada
- RAF donates Sea King to Falklands museum
- Heli-One to upgrade Malaysian S-61 fleet
- Royal Navy SAR Sea Kings leave Culdrose for the last time
- Donaldson gets STC for S-61 inlet barrier filters
- FAA Proposes $240,500 Civil Penalty Against Helicopter Transport Services
- Bristow winchman recognised by the Queen
- Babcock win large Royal Navy helicopter maintenance contract
- Heli-One to prepare pair of S61s for Omni Taxi Aereo
- Royal Air Force bows out of UK SAR responsibility
- Sikorsky awarded $16.3M for five VH-3D cabin interiors
- Canada re-selects Vector as sole T-58 engine MRO provider
- Last Sea King leaves RAF Valley