Part of Italy’s Finmeccanica, AgustaWestland has its main facilities in Italy, the UK, the USA and Poland, and operates globally through a number of subsidiaries, joint ventures and collaborative programmes with major aerospace and defence companies. AgustaWestland has over 12,850 employees worldwide and revenues of €4.37 billion.
AgustaWestland in the UK has a longstanding relationship with XPO Logistics to provide a flexible, cost effective logistics operation for the transportation of helicopter parts. In an extension of this relationship, XPO Logistics global forwarding teams will be responsible for transporting the eight Lynx helicopters to the UK for a phased upgrade programme.
The Brazilian Navy has tasked AgustaWestland with replacing engines, navigation systems, display consoles and mission avionics on the maritime helicopters. The programme will take place at the company’s manufacturing and maintenance facility in Yeovil, Somerset.
Upon completion of each upgrade, XPO Logistics will be responsible for returning the refurbished helicopters back to Brazil by air and sea freight solutions, using its expertise with over-dimensional cargoes to facilitate safe transportation. This will involve specialist handling equipment and bespoke protection throughout the journey.
In Brazil, the global forwarding business of XPO Logistics operates from locations in Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, and has a wealth of experience in Brazilian logistics, including complex customs regulations and naval procedures for export and import.
“XPO Logistics manages regular inbound and outbound movements of spare parts for us in Brazil, and has shipped helicopters to the UK on two previous occasions,” said Jim Joyce, Customer Service & Support at AgustaWestland. “Their supply chain expertise provides us with a trusted end-to-end solution and the extremely high levels of service that are critical in the aviation sector.”
- First flights for new Babcock oil and gas contract
- NHV awarded offshore contract by Shell UK and NAM
- SAFE wins MH-65 maintenance platform contract at UCSG Elizabeth City
- WAI 2021 Scholarship Applications are now open
- Airbus H160 receives EASA approval
- HeliValue$ leads the way with remote helicopter appraisals
- Horizon International Flight Academy Logs More Than 1,000 Flight Hours in its Bell 505 Fleet
- Sikorsky awarded $470M contract for six VH-92 helicopters
- Sikorsky awarded $12M contract modification for CH-53K work
- PAS MRO awarded $9M contract to overhaul UH-60 tip caps
- Rolls-Royce awarded $62M for AE1107C engines for US Navy V-22
- Bell wins $8M contract with Bahrain for AH-1Z flight training device
- Safran to support Dutch Cougar engines
- Consultation under way for Sydney CBD helipad
- US Navy receives first fleet CMV-22B
- Three new helicopters for police in Republika Srpska
- Morocco Orders 24 Boeing AH-64E Apache Helicopters
- Airbus adds 250 helicopters to HCare Smart and Infinite contracts
- Akima Awarded task order for helicopter maintenance at Fairchild AFB
- Gardner Standard Announces the Acquisition of Shadin Avionics