Part of Italy’s Finmeccanica, AgustaWestland has its main facilities in Italy, the UK, the USA and Poland, and operates globally through a number of subsidiaries, joint ventures and collaborative programmes with major aerospace and defence companies. AgustaWestland has over 12,850 employees worldwide and revenues of €4.37 billion.
AgustaWestland in the UK has a longstanding relationship with XPO Logistics to provide a flexible, cost effective logistics operation for the transportation of helicopter parts. In an extension of this relationship, XPO Logistics global forwarding teams will be responsible for transporting the eight Lynx helicopters to the UK for a phased upgrade programme.
The Brazilian Navy has tasked AgustaWestland with replacing engines, navigation systems, display consoles and mission avionics on the maritime helicopters. The programme will take place at the company’s manufacturing and maintenance facility in Yeovil, Somerset.
Upon completion of each upgrade, XPO Logistics will be responsible for returning the refurbished helicopters back to Brazil by air and sea freight solutions, using its expertise with over-dimensional cargoes to facilitate safe transportation. This will involve specialist handling equipment and bespoke protection throughout the journey.
In Brazil, the global forwarding business of XPO Logistics operates from locations in Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, and has a wealth of experience in Brazilian logistics, including complex customs regulations and naval procedures for export and import.
“XPO Logistics manages regular inbound and outbound movements of spare parts for us in Brazil, and has shipped helicopters to the UK on two previous occasions,” said Jim Joyce, Customer Service & Support at AgustaWestland. “Their supply chain expertise provides us with a trusted end-to-end solution and the extremely high levels of service that are critical in the aviation sector.”
- Triumph Awarded DLA Contract Extension
- Sikorsky grants Make-A-Wish® Foundation with a S-76 ride
- 7 trainee paramedics start at HIOW Air Ambulance
- Bristow FY2019 Q3 earnings release and concall scheduled
- Donate Items to the HFI Silent Auction
- USMC receives last UH-1Y Venom
- NEMSPA/USHST Joint IFR Helicopter Pilot Survey
- NHRMC Stations AirLink Aircraft at Medical Center
- CHC wins planning approval for Aberdeen facility upgrade
- Profile – Kathryn Purwin of Helinet
- DRF Luftrettung opens 10th night flight station
- Austin Peay introduces first helicopter in its rotor-wing fleet
- East Anglian Air Ambulance flies 25,000th mission
- EASA certifies Bell 206 TT straps from Lord Corporation
- NHV awarded new contract with Ørsted
- RUAG to upgrade eight Swiss Cougars
- JetNet to exhibit at NBAA Schedulers & Dispatchers Conference
- Lobo Leasing appoints Chief Technical Officer
- Indonesian Air Force places order for eight additional H225Ms
- 14-Jan-19 PP-ECF Airbus AS350BA Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (1F)