Selex ES, is now on board an Italian Army NH90 TTH. The helicopter has just been delivered to the Italian Ministry of Defence. The validation activity was managed in collaboration with the Italian Ministry of Defence’s Direzione Armamenti Aeronautici e per l’Aeronavigabilità (ARMAEREO).
LOAM, developed and manufactured by Selex ES at its Genoa site, is a system for helicopters which makes them safer to fly. It is based on the latest eye-safe laser radar technology. LOAM is able to detect all kinds of obstacles, even very thin ones, along the helicopter’s flight path. These include power lines, ropeway wires and pillars. This then allows the crew to safely change altitude or direction by taking appropriate measures in a timely fashion. LOAM significantly increases the pilot’s situational awareness, particularly in cases of very low visibility. This ensures a safer flight, especially on low-altitudes missions.
Close collaboration between the Italian Ministry of Defence and Selex ES, combined with significant investment in technology research and development, has allowed the company to make major advances in laser radar technology. In addition, having spent many years working with the world’s major aircraft manufacturers, Selex ES has an in-depth knowledge of avionics technology and the operational needs of international customers. The company provides avionics solutions that exploit the latest technology to secure an edge in the marketplace.
In addition to LOAM, Selex ES provides other airborne systems for Italian Armed Forces’ NH90s including a complete Communications, Navigation and Identification (CNI) capability, radar and mission systems.
Today, NATO NH90 is the major European helicopter programme in support of NAHEMA (the NATO Helicopter Management Agency) and is in service with many NATO countries’ armed forces. As an NHIndustries member (a consortium which also includes Airbus Helicopters and Fokker) Finmeccanica-AgustaWestland is involved in the production, assembly and logistic support of the helicopters. In Italy, these are manufactured at AgustaWestland’s Tessera, Venice site.
- Nepal – Summit Helicopters rebrands back to original Fishtail Air name
- Airbus appoints Head of External Communications
- Garmin® unveils the fourth generation GPS/NAV/COMM
- Boeing delivered more new Apaches than 737s in 2019 Q4
- Farewell Message from Matt Zuccaro as he hands over HAI
- Manufacturing of Tiltrotor AW609 wind tunnel model via SLS and Windform
- Sikorsky, Rheinmetall Unveil Plans for German Heavy-Lift CH-53K
- Vertical Flight Society Announces Continued Strong Growth
- Era Group Names Senior Vice President of Business Development
- Schiebel Camcopter S-100 deployed for river pollution crisis in Malaysia
- 25,000 missions for Essex & Herts Air Ambulance
- Bristow used Chapter 11 process to drop Airbus H175 order
- US Navy awards $2.68 Billion contract for APKWS rockets
- THOMMEN delivers first multi function displays for the AW129
- Milestone Aviation Group names CEO
- Air Methods Promotes new CEO
- HH-60W enters chamber for defense systems testing
- Botswana police order three Enstrom 480B
- “Who Rates Best to Avoid Fatal Helicopter Accidents? Who Rates Worst?”
- S.A.F.E. will present a Maintenance Safety session at Heli Expo 2020