QinetiQ has signed a £5.2m contract with the UK Ministry of Defence (MOD) to independently evaluate Boeing’s Digital Automatic Flight Control System upgrades to the Chinook helicopter.
As Boeing conducts a series of upgrades to the aircraft, QinetiQ will provide independent technical evaluation and advice to the MOD Chinook Project Team. QinetiQ will work with Boeing and specialist frontline units throughout ground and flight tests of the modified aircraft.
The MOD has a requirement to:
Gaz Borland, Managing Director for QinetiQ’s Air business, said: “This contract demonstrates the way in which we collaborate with the MOD and industry, combining knowledge to de-risk complex programmes and ensure they are delivered in a cost-effective way. The independent recommendations we make through our test and evaluation services enable crucial operational decisions to be made with confidence. Working with key industry suppliers such as Boeing to provide the best service to our customers is fundamental to the way that we work.”
QinetiQ’s work will be delivered through the Air Test & Evaluation Centre (ATEC) at MOD Boscombe Down. ATEC is a partnership between QinetiQ and the Air Warfare Centre (AWC), founded in 2001. It combines QinetiQ’s world class flight test and engineering capability and the AWC’s frontline expertise to provide the MoD with operationally-focused, independent test and evaluation for the next generation of military aircraft.
For information, visit the Air section of the website.
- British military Joint Helicopter Command sustain airpower operation in Mali
- Honeywell Secures Repair and Overhaul Contract for US Army Chinook Fleet
- Boeing, Honeywell and Rolls-partner on German CH-47 bid
- RAAF new Chinook HQ to boost local Townsville economy
- SAFE to distribute M2 ERFS Tank Shoring System for CH-47
- S.A.F.E. Structure Designs wins $1M CH-47F fall protection platform contract
- Boeing delivered more new Apaches than 737s in 2019 Q4
- Coulson and Unical join forces to form Coulson Unical
- UTC Unveils New Lightweight Ballistic Protection
- Possible US Foreign Military Sale to the UK
- Boeing Awarded $199M Contract for H-47 Rotor Blade Support
- Honeywell Awarded $20M Contract for CH-47 Engine Support
- US delivers new Chinook to Turkey despite F-35 problem
- Netherlands signs combined Apache and Chinook sustainment contract with Boeing
- CAE joins Boeing H-47 Chinook team
- Boeing, Rohde & Schwarz Sign Agreement
- Boeing partners with 10 German Aerospace Companies
- Program Executive Office for Aviation group is awarded
- Israel prefers CH-47F to CH-53K
- LifePort Delivers Lightweight Armor Kit for Columbia Helicopters